Now what have I done! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Now what have I done!

Now after having my carbs out and replacing the fuel/air screw on the rear carb, I have real problems. The rear cyclinder seems to work great, while the front cylinder is now flooding with gas and I didn't even mess with it. I did'nt take anything apart when I had them out, although I did turn them upside down to drain the fuel out. Could the float be sticking or what?? Other than pulling the carbs again (that was fun) any other suggestions. The right side exhaust doesn't seem to "fire" properly unless I rev it to about 3,000 then I get the right sound out of it. I did check spark and it is good. Also sync'ed the carbs.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 08:11 AM

Give it a little tap tap tap a roo on the carb that you believe is sticking that might free it up if stuck do it as close as possible to the float
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It sounds to me like you might have had some crud settled in the bottom of your bowl and turning the carb upside down shifted stuff around and now the crud is stuck in your float valve. Could just be the float is stuck too but if tapping on the bowl of the front carb doesn't fix it, you're going to have to pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning. You could try a heavy dose of seafoam first too. It might dissolve the glob and get you back on two cyls!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Q1 y did u pull the carbs to swap the mix screw? Q2 u were so close to having them ready to clean.... though as difficult as pulling them as it was the first time number 2 is even easier 3rd and 4th time its like chewwing gum easy squeezy

i would try a good tap with a rubber mallet but as fergy said knowing that there is something in there to gum something up would make me automatically repull and clean nothin worse then bein stuck between 2 exits with a carb in your hand

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
[QUOTE=seebeeare;113102]Q1 y did u pull the carbs to swap the mix screw?

I had stripped the head on it trying to adjust it without the proper tool. You would think that would be the one giving me problems, but its's the front one now. I'll try the tapping thing tonight. If that doesn't work, then I'll pull them again. I'm sure it will be easier the 2nd time around.
Thanks.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
i hit mine with a drill bit when i pulled the lead plugs and had to replace however it was installed on the scoot.... n e who let us know what u find

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

If tapping doesn`t work, you could try squirting some aerosol carb cleaner into the carb bowl drain nipple.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Just as a general guide line here...if you have to pull your carbs off for any reason...clean them while you got them off.

Fergy is likely correct that the gunk in the bottom of the float bowl got "loose" when you turned it upside down.

I would try squirting them with gumout spray down the fuel line hose with the drain open a few times before pulling them off again.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Acid7711
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
If tapping doesn`t work, you could try squirting some aerosol carb cleaner into the carb bowl drain nipple.
Yes, backflushing worked excellelent for me, but I still opted to do a complete carb tear down. Couldn't find a single piece or anything in there. But, something verrrrrrrrrrry small was gumming up the idle jet on the front carb. Backflushing the carbs this way got it loose, but cleaning them fixed it 100%
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Well..........loosened the drain screw and drained the bowl, pulled the drain screw out, tapped on the housing a few times, and shot some GUM OUT in were the drain screw was, rinsed everything off and started it up. Just with listening to the idle, I knew it seemed better, much better. Took it out and no popping or hesitation anymore, I think I finally got it. Had to adjust my idle back down to normal and it seem to run fine now. It even seems to run better now. Thank's for everybody's help, I felt pretty bad after it started running so poorly.

I was going to drain the rear carb then, but noticed that it didn't have a screw head, instead it looked like some type of allen screw in it that screwed in flush to the carb. Is that right?

2007 Victory Kingpin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement