Cleaned carbs again new prob - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Cleaned carbs again new prob

Well I was lucky enough to spend a couple of my vacation days working on the bike. The front cylinder was flooding out every time I parked it unless I turned the petcock to off. If not I would have to let it run with the petcock off to burn off the extra gas in the cylinder before I could ride off or else it would feel like it was running on one cylinder under 4k rpms. From what I was told and pretty much figured it was a stuck float. The last time I pulled the carbs I couldn't get to them because the screws where stripped and I was at a friends house and wouldn't be able to replace them if I tapped them out.

Either way I went ahead and pulled them yesterday and cleaned everything that I did the first time around and was able to get the carbs apart so I could get to the floats. They seemed to move ok by themselves but they did have quite a bit of crud built up on them. I cleaned them as best I could and cleaned the float needles as well. They looked pretty good when I put it all back together.

I ended up running out of daylight so I had to finish putting everything back on today. After losing a little more blood/skin from my knuckles getting everything back in I realized one of my fuel lines had a gash in it. I replaced it with no leaks. Got the coolant back in and tank on no real problems. It took a couple turns but it fired right up with a little choke on. Only problem is it was idling a little high. Around 1500 which i figured with all the tugging and what not getting the carbs in and out the idle adjustment would be a little off so I tried turning it down a little bit. Well it didn't work. I turned the knob maybe 3 times back in and finally the idle would shoot up a little but no matter how far back out I turned it, it wouldn't idle lower than 1500. I watched as I turned and you can see it bottom out on the bottom of the carb so its not caught up on anything its just not letting it idle lower. Any ideas on what I may have left to tight or what I may have just plain out done wrong so as I don't have to pull the carbs again is greatly appreciated.

Another issue is now on the right side towards the back cylinder there is a hissing or rubbing sound. It almost sounds like air pushing through as the cylinder pumps but I'm not sure. I may or may not have accidentally poked my screw driver through the rubber air duct on that side, so my question is could that small hole be whats making the noise and if it is, is that something that is gonna affect the bike to an extent that I need to fix it before I ride it or is it something that I can ride with until I can get a new rubber air duct?

I figured I would have some issues after beings that I am no trained mech or anything, but its good to know I can always ask you guys because I just don't have the cash to have this done otherwise.

Btw .. Everything on the bike is stock, if I had the patience to do it I would have taken the air box out completely....

Thanks again guys. Hope to have this thing running right by time I get my radiator bling.

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 <To Be Named Later>
Purchased Used on 05/09/2009
11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
New Shinko 230 Tour Masters
110/90/19 Front 150/90/15 Back
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09
1992 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 <Parts Bike>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Check the throttle cables, make sure that they have a little slack.
And yes you need to find the leak and seal it. If not it will cause the rear cylinder to run lean and run too hot and cause engine damage. That may be the high idle problem.
Hope this helps, others will be along with more help.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

I double checked the throttle cables they have plenty of slack. That would have been nice if it was something simple. The bike fired right up no choke again but this time it was wanting to stall a little bit. Of course once it got to idling it was a bit sporadic not so much that it was gonna die but it was jumping more than it was before I pulled the carbs, and the right side exhaust was steady backfiring after I turned the throttle a bit, and not just on decel, it was popping while it sat there and idled.
The crazy thing is after I got it all put back together earlier even with the hissing and the 1500 idle it rode really well. extremely responsive rode at lower rpms really smoothly which it hadn't been before hand that well. It even felt like it had more power. I'm starting to think I might need to just break down and find me a local mechanic and get this thing right. If I keep poking at it myself its just gonna drive me up the wall.
I was thinking I can get that rubber tube out without pulling the carbs but I was also thinking with such a small hole if there was something I could patch it with. Would hate to replace the whole thing if I can just patch the hole with. Any ideas on what I could use would be awesome as well.

Thanks Niterider for the quick reply. Keep the ideas coming I can't stand being stumped.

11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Acid7711
If you had the carbs apart, they need to be synced again.

People will swear up and down at you 100 times that CV carbs don't need to be synced, but I will tell you from my personal experience they DO. I tore my carbs apart, through I had them synced pretty well, and couldn't get the front cylinder to fire at all. Turns out, I threw a syner on there, and the front was so far out it wasn't even getting enough vacuum, the rear was taking all of it.

I synced them up, and sure enough when I started getting them balanced out, the front started chugging, then little more and WHAM fired right up. These carbs to need to be synced. I don't care if they're CV or not.

The CV carbs might account for being a little out of sync, but if you're way off, I don't care what kind they are, it's not going to run right. Just food for thought on my own personal experience tearing and rebuilding these carbs through my nightmare that's finally coming to an end.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

I patched the spot where I managed to poke through with the screw driver, but thats not where the sound is coming from. I can't pinpoint it for some reason. wish I knew more about the carbs would make it easier to figure out what may be the problem. You may be right about the carbs being out of sync. I may just bring it to one of the local shops and let them tell me what they think. The good news is I have a spare bike that I am finally getting this weekend got a buddy with a bike trailer who's gonna help me get it here. So maybe I can pull the carbs off of it give the easy to get to places a good once over and see how they run on the bike. The PO of it used it as a daily driver before he parked it about 8 months ago so I imagine it needs cleaning but not as bad as mine did. My bike was parked for a long time before its PO got it and she didn't ride it much more than around her block a handful of times. Either way if the other set doesn't run to bad I think I will just run with them until I can get around to completely rebuilding the ones I have now.

Thanks for the advise guys. Anything else you may have that you think could help advise wise I am more than happy to read.

11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah I sprayed wd40 around both boots and around the top air ducts to see if I could get it to shoot up but I didn't manage to do anything but lube the outside of the carbs real well.

11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

On the new bike, I'd try putting SeaFoam in the carbs to soak for 24-48 hours. Then add half a can to a fresh tank of gas. If it runs, ride it hard. Do another tank with SeaFoam if it runs rough. If that doesn't fix it, you probably need to pull the carbs.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

The other bike I am getting is the one I posted awhile back about. The person I am getting it from had the situation where she couldn't get the title without bringing her lawyer back into it. I haven't had the time to look into much further as far as getting the title myself but I am going to get her to write me up a solid bill of sale when I go to pick it up this weekend so I wont run into any problems without some proof of purchase. So I wont be able to use the bike til I get that dealt with at least but I can use the carbs off it in the meantime.

It also has a engine guard with foot pegs and a windshield I might pull off as well for now at least. It has closer to 27k miles on it compared to 12k or so I have on mine now but I don't think the carbs should be to bad on it. Like I said her ex husband supposedly rode it every non raining day up til they split and he for some reason didn't take it with him. Either way it only cost me 150 bucks and if all I use it for is the parts I will get my moneys worth. The guy who is helping me pick it up has a lot more know how as far as working on bikes goes so maybe he can help me figure out what I screwed up on the existing carbs so I don't have to pull apart another set right away. Either way I am dying to get back on the bike but I don't wanna do any permanent damage so I have at least a few more caged days til I'm back on two wheels.

If I do end up just using the carbs of the extra bike, I do plan on giving them a good seafoam bath as soon as I get them on. If they run good enough I will start trying to get those other carbs taken care of so I have two solid sets at all times. Maybe I can find someone to mail them off to so I know they are done right. I would trust any of you guys on here for whatever the cost to do them, quicker than I would most of the local shops around here.

11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I finally got the parts bike this past Thursday to the house. Most of the parts are in good shape but as for using the carbs off of it I'm gonna have to wait. I popped open the gas tank when i got it home and the inside is covered in a nice thick coating of gunk and rust from sitting. I can only imagine what the carbs must look like inside. I got as far as pulling everything but the carbs off of it today before I decided it would be best if I just gave the ones I have on my bike another shot.

Last week I got a patch kit and sealed the small hole I had managed to put in the boot coming from the air box down into the rear carb. I figured that where my hissing sound was coming from. Well I patched it nice and clean but of course that wasn't my problem. The buddy that I had help me get the parts bike over to the house took a listen and said it sounded like the rear diaphragm must have not sealed when I put the cover back on. Which it does kind of sound like. Either way I pulled the carbs again today which I gotta say has gotten a lot easier. I wanted to give them a good once over to see what it is that I managed to mess up when I had them off the other day. This time I went ahead and pulled the jets and cleaned them real well again while I was at it.

I checked both of the small diaphragms and both where in place and just fine. I also checked the vacuum valves on both to make sure that when I put them back together last time that they hadn't folded under. Then I noticed that one of the screws that I had stripped and replaced when separating the carbs was missing. I thought perfect that was my problem right there. I was in a hurry to get done and had forgotten to replace one of them. So I double checked everything made sure everything was tight and threw them back in thinking that had been my whole problem.....

Nope... The bike runs really good as far as I can tell from riding it around the block a couple times. the idling seems fine. It just won't quit making that hissing noise. I tried spraying all around the boots and and where it might not have sealed with WD-40 but it didn't change from a smooth 1100 idle.

Is there a chance that maybe its not a leak and maybe something in the carbs rubbing? I tried to record it with my cell but it was to distorted to bother posting. One thing I did have to do when I pulled them last week was replace the middle tube coming off the petcock and the guy at the parts place said he measured it out to be 1/4" but it seemed a little big. I have it sealed on as tight as I could manage with some hose clamps. I read in another post that that hose is a vacuum hose and not a fuel line like I assumed. Maybe its a little to big. But you can only hear the hissing/rubbing sound when your on the right side of the bike. Its like I said so far as I can tell for now the hissing doesn't seem to be affecting the way the bike runs but I still don't want to risk running it on any long trips if its something major.

If anyone else has had the rubbing or hissing sound come from theirs please hit me up with anything you might have done to fix it or if anyone has any fresh ideas I'll take them. Thanks again guys for all the help.

11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

One more thing I am getting more popping on deceleration as well. Well more than it was before at least. The good news after all of this is at least I think I got the flooding problem fixed.

11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement