What would it look like if your coils were bad? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

What would it look like if your coils were bad?

Still fighting w/ my bike. It's been good for a ride or two and then back to hesitating. Am planning on revisiting the whole jetting thing, but I'm wondering if it could be something else altogether, something intermittent.

Today on the way home from lunch I was going along fine when one cylinder just DIED. No sound out that side, power cut in half, and as soon as I pulled in the clutch the other died. I thought I was stranded. I waited a minute and then tried to start it. It cranked and cranked. It did not start. I put the choke full on and it started to sputter. I kept cranking and it started and ran fine again?!

Then in the way back to work it did about the same thing, killing at a stoplight. This time it started back up again w/out putting the choke on.

Seriously, what the heck? I know my spark plugs and wires are good. I think my CDI is OK. My carbs and petcock are clean. The jets and a/f screw may need tweaking, but one whole cylinder should not be dying!

Are the coils the same or is there a front and rear one? I have half a mind to get another one and put it in for the one on the jug that died (front cylinder) and just see if it stays the same.

But anyway, what would my symptoms be if my coils were failing or intermittent? What else could it be, still?

I have to be honest, with the 1500 sitting there looking glorious I'm starting to have thoughts of parting out my 750 to fund it. I'm not ready to give up yet, but I'm formulating a backup plan, that's for sure!

Current VN: 03 VN1600A

Past VNs: 92 VN750A, 98 VN1500A

Future VN: 94/97 VN1500A basketcase/bobber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

That sounds more like the CDI unit is acting up - didn't you just put in a new one? You may also want to check the pick-up coils (inside the smaller left side engine cover) - but I'd be more suspicous of the CDI.

C
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
That sounds more like the CDI unit is acting up - didn't you just put in a new one? You may also want to check the pick-up coils (inside the smaller left side engine cover) - but I'd be more suspicous of the CDI.
Nope, went to put in my aftermarket CDI and found I did not have the correct harness. Gypsy is sending it. So I'm still on the stocker.

What do I want to check about the pickup coils? Is there a visual test?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

OK, it just died on me on the way home in the exact same spot.

My plan.

Dump my white tank. It is a VN700 w/out the vent tube. I don't think this is all phantom out of gas, but going to minimize that possibility. I have three other tanks. I'm switching to one.

Going to put the Jardine pipes on and get the intake/exhaust where it's going to be.

Put on the Dyna when the harness gets here. Will put it at the stock curve to begin with.

Going to pull the carbs and set the jetting to Lance's suggestions for jetting.

Then will test and tweak the jetting according to the instructions I've found researching my '95 1500.

If it doesn't run like a top after all that, I don't know what it could be besides the coils. May replace them to be sure. May give up and part her out.

I'm sure I can get $1000 for the cavalcade of parts I have laying around, maybe even $1500 making it a trade for the $1500.

I know it will feel GREAT if I conquer it, but right now I feel like I'm getting licked.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

If you end up needing coils, I have 3 I could sell ya cheap which were all working fine when my bike moved on to the next life.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

How cheap is cheap? Are they both the same or are there front and rear? I'm interested in getting them on hand so they are ready to go in if there continues to be a problem. Shoot me a PM w/ the details and we'll get the turkeys talking!

Got anything else I might need? Stock CDI even? If I could A/B it with mine and that fixes it I know to hit mine with a hammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCruzin View Post
If you end up needing coils, I have 3 I could sell ya cheap which were all working fine when my bike moved on to the next life.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:36 AM

We just replaced the front and rear coils/plug wires on my buddy's 750 last night, hoping to correct a similar "dying without warning" problem. His usually starts right up again, and it seems to only happen when the bike is in the process of warming up, 5 or 10 minutes into a ride.

They are different because the front one has one long plug wire to reach the right side plug. The rear wires are equal length. The front one is no problem. The rear is a bit of a bitch. Take the battery out, then once it is loose, turn it 45 degrees so the coil is verticle, and there is just enough room to slip it out the top between the frame and the battery box.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

I already put on new plug wires. The coils themselves are both the same then I take it? I saw the wires were diff lengths and replaced them carefully w/ the matching ones in my new set.

Did it solve the problem when you did the swap?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
this problem you speak of sounds more like an ignition switch problem than a coil problem
the CDI and Coils either work or don't. No somtimes maybee... so i would check the ignition sitch, and make sure the wires on the coil primaries are tight
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

I'll check if I still have the CDI, but the coils themselves are the same. Let me double check if I still have them in my parts box and I'll get back to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement