Ear shave - vacuum line note / warning - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Ear shave - vacuum line note / warning

I just performed the ear shave on the '95. And BTW, that silly surge tank is a terrible clearance problem for getting the carbs out without pulling the engine (it is GONE now!). Anyhow, while re-assembling, I mistakenly plugged the vacuum breather that originally went to the surge tank breather. It ran so rich even at 1.5 turns out that just a couple of throttle pulls would flood it out, and you can forget starting (or even running) it if it's choked at all, even cold, with that line capped. The line I'm reffering to is the common between the carbs that has a factory T installed. Running that line to a small filter is must happen.
Let's just say I learned the hard way - DON'T cap that line if you're doing an earshave.
There wasn't enough time to re-sync and colortune... will do this evening. It already starts instantly when warmed up though... something it has never done before. I haven't driven it yet, so no idea how it will do under load.

I'm curious if anyone who has done the shave managed to get reasonable performance without changing the original jets? (Exhaust is original) Suggestions please?

Thanks in advance!

'05 VN750
'95 VN750 w/ear shave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:25 PM

So it starts up better when warm now?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes! Used to have to open the throttle about 1/2 way when hot starting. That is not to say the same won't be required after balancing the carbs and getting the mix set properly. Technically, I'd say it sounds like a rich mixture, but the screws are less than 2 turns out The colortune plug will tell the real story. I'll post some progress on how it goes this evening.

As for general warm starts, a good sealed battery (kept well charged) helps more than one would expect... well worth the $50. Also remember that if your bike still has the goatbelly on it, when you park it all that heat from the exhaust rises up around the battery compartment - and of course *bakes* the regulator if it's in the default location (on bottom of battery box). It is fairly well known on these forums that weak voltage will lead to all sorts of trouble such as poor charging, faulty ignition, etc. Plus at idle, you're basically running off battery power... the stator doesn't make solid amps until >2000 rpm.

'05 VN750
'95 VN750 w/ear shave

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Nausea, What do you think of the colortune plug? Do you feel like your pilot jet/fuel screws are set optimally for throttle response, minimal vibration, and minimal decel popping when using the colortune plug?

What sized adaptor fits the VN750?

Thanks! Mark
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Mark... the Colortune plug is a great tool! You can watch the fire in the cylinder in realtime while adjusting. The instructions it ships with are quite detailed. Our bikes take a 12mm. See http://www.carbtune.com/colortune.html

The last time I used it on this bike was when I determined the carbs were filthy and not enriching on decel as they should. Sure enough, there was grit and other gunk plugging the tiny orifices and thus was not able to achieve a desired result on that run - although the mix was much closer and she definitely ran smoother abeit a bit rich on purpose. (hence the overhaul - the ear shave was afterthought of removal anger directed at the surge tank)

The vibration factor has alot to do with the carbs being in or out of sync... that sets the baseline for equal vacuum to which your mix can be set against. Might be wise to pull the carbs and verify that both throttle butterflys open/close at the same time as expected. Obviously, if the sync is out whack far enough, she'll shake and you'll feel one cylinder pull harder on takeoff.
I doubt that solely using a colortune will fix decel popping... there are other factors involved.
I'll try to find out who I bought this one from... I just remember it wasn't cheap

'05 VN750
'95 VN750 w/ear shave
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 07:43 PM

Could you tell me exactly what you remove with an ear shave?

It seems to help things, but are their any cons?

How hard is it to do? Do you need any parts? Its cool you can start it much easier now. I'm planning on getting a sealed battery for sure.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Well.. after the test ride(s)... it is safe to say that the stock jets are not gonna cut the mustard.

InsuredDisaster: the surge tank, the air filters, the hoses and vacuum diaphram that are attached to the heads and such are removed during a shave. Unless you actually like removing/disassembling carbs, leave it alone. As far as the shave actually 'helping' things, I don't know I'd say that - the carbs were gunked up before the shave and that was making it harder to start. More Seafoam may have cleaned them out... who knows? You'd need tools, lots of time, possibly a helper, a place to leave things disassembled... and patience.

On the bright side, now I'll get to pull the carbs out again which should be much easier now and re-jet/shim etc. Just isn't rich enough at higher rpms.
The sound? Normal at low rpm, LOUD at higher. Not sure who besides the rider can hear it, but there's no sound baffle between the carbs and the world.

'05 VN750
'95 VN750 w/ear shave
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Mark, you asked about the Colortune : (not everyone stocks the MC version)
etoolcart.com - $66.27+shipping - Product Part #: 19-4171-100_AST
Motorcycle Colortune for 12mm spark plug 19-4171-100

'05 VN750
'95 VN750 w/ear shave
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Thanks for the info Nausea! I'm going to get one and try it out.

Mark
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Old Fart

Garage
If you do an ear shave...you will HAVE to change the jets...i.e...go much richer.
Anytime you increase the amount of air, you need to increase the amount of fuel.
Even those that have tried keeping the ears on, and cutting bigger holes in them will find the mix will be too lean...and remember that the bike is set up fairly lean to start with.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement