Gas Cap - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Gas Cap

Hey newbie here... Just got an '86 VN750 for a deal. Its a fixer upper and I need some advice on several things and I thought I would start with an easy one.

The bike I bought did not have any keys and the gas cap key insert is pretty much destroyed. I tried removing the key portion from the mounting plate it is attached to without any success.

I wanted to know if anyone here has an alternate solution for the gas cap? Possibly one that does not involve the key at all.

I don't mind adding some "unique" features to this bike and I am really open to anything there.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
You could, if you can get the cap off, remove the lock cylinder pins and springs so that the key is not needed. This will make let the cylinder rotate freely within, but still operate the latch. Then attach whatever type of knob you want on top, where the key insert is. You could get pretty creative as to what type of knob you install.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:11 PM

OK, here it is.

I was in the same position as you, here's the story: Had keys made to fit the ignition, took it out for a ride, stopped for gas and guess what? the key didn't work the gas cap. I ended up punching out the pin hinge on the cap to remoce it and get some gas in it at the station.

When I got home, I took the cap off again by knocking out the pin. I removed all the key/tumbler section (turns out it was damaged) of the gas cap revealing a notch about 1/2" down were the tumblers used to be. I reinstalled the cap and pounded the hinge pin back in place.

A stubby flat blade screwdriver works just fine for me as my gas cap 'key' to easily open and close the cap. I've been thinking of adding some sort of knob, but this gives me some sense of security knowing it's somewhat tricky to get into.

Or you could go to your local Kawa dealer and order a new key with the numbers stamped on the ignition switch and proof of ownership.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 PM

I had the same problem of getting the gas cap to open up, the only difference is that I still had my key. Using dirtrack650's idea of knocking out the pin, I managed to open the gas cap. Found out that the tumbler had frozen up, probably due to some rust.

I managed to free it up with some WD40 and put the whole thing together.

Thanks for the idea and it saved me from getting a new gas cap...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I bought a bike with the ingition key only. I used a screw driver and cresent wrench to destroy the tumblers. After opening cap I prosseded to take it apart and took all the lock stuff out and now I use any key to open cap.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement