Carbs balanced! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Carbs balanced!

I run across the $1.55 carb balancer (monometer) DIY tool... I figured what the heck? What can it hurt? It'd be something cool to try.

powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

I bought a 92 VN750 almost a year ago. It's my first bike. The thing literally scared the crap out of me. I almost put it up for sale for something smaller. As time went on, I thought I got used to the power.... so I thought.

A buddy come over and helped me. He had the yardstick and clear line. We threw it together, added some 10W30 Valvoline to the tube and stuck it on. Fired the engine and it proceeded to suck nearly all the oil in one carb before I could get to the kill switch. We looked at each other, "That's not right!"

We tweaked the one carb. Nope wrong way, more oil in the carb. Tweaked it again, better.... at least it didn't suck oil.... but almost. To make a long story short, there are no mosquitoes within 15miles of me and we got it to balance. We decided to "blow all the oil out" and he followed. I immediately notice a smoother run and better throttle response, then.....OH HECK! It scared me again! 3/4 throttle and I had to let off. Just like 10 months ago.

YEA!

The best $2 I've ever spent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Acid7711
I've new to the game of bikes and carbs, what exactly do you to tweak to them to tune them to be equal? The only thing I can think of for these carbs that I know of is the air/fuel screws but those are only for idle??

I'm going to be pulling and cleaning my carbs this weekend, will probably have to sync them after I finish. Need to get all this info out ahead of time so everything goes smoothly and I'm down for as little time as possible.

Last edited by Acid7711; 07-17-2009 at 12:10 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid7711 View Post
I've new to the game of bikes and carbs, what exactly do you to tweak to them to tune them to be equal? The only thing I can think of for these carbs that I know of is the air/fuel screws but those are only for idle??

I'm going to be pulling and cleaning my carbs this weekend, will probably have to sync them after I finish. Need to get all this info out ahead of time so everything goes smoothly and I'm down for as little time as possible.
I'll tell you how it went for me. I couldn't find my maintenance manual anywhere last night SO......

Both carbs are connected at the throttle (obviously). The right carb is driven directly off the throttle (grip). The left carb is connected to the right's throttle linkage with an adjustment screw and tension spring on the screw. You adjust this screw to tweak the left carb to match the right carb (match the vacuum signals). You are actually adjusting the idle of the left carb independantly when you do this.

The idle screws are something independent of this process although adjusting your idle mixture may/will change this balance.

For me, the right left carb was lagging behind the right, so power from one cylinder was being used to pull the slack cylinder, aka sluggish throttle response and lower power.

I will say that 10W30 Valvoline tried to seperate in the tube a little. You might try something heavier, gear oil, 20W50, No smoke... I dunno. I guess that's why they use mercury.

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE ALL THE PLASTIC WASHERS GET BACK IN PLACE ON THE LINKAGES IF YOU PULL THE CARBS APART!!!!! Sorry, but my buddy almost died on MY bike when it stuck WOT because one of the washers were missing.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I've actually got down and backflushed my carbs today along with putting on new custom made wires, I'm *hoping* I won't have to pull em, it ran like a champ all the way to work tonight, but it was a very random problem.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:00 PM
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral_72 View Post

A buddy come over and helped me. He had the yardstick and clear line. We threw it together, added some 10W30 Valvoline to the tube and stuck it on. Fired the engine and it proceeded to suck nearly all the oil in one carb before I could get to the kill switch. We looked at each other, "That's not right!"

The best $2 I've ever spent!
If you search on balancing within this forum you'll find a couple of posts referencing a ~$5 DIY manometer that uses two bottles, two stoppers and some tubing that will prevent oil from entering the carbs. I used water with some food coloring and it worked great with no chance of getting fluid in carbs. FWIW...

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced
Voltmeter Installed
Splines Lubed
Metzler 880 Marathons
Front - 110/90-19
Rear - 170/80-15
Carbs Balanced
Carb Mix Adjusted
Fuel Tank Derusted/Lined/Sealed
NGK Iridium Plugs
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsawyer View Post
If you search on balancing within this forum you'll find a couple of posts referencing a ~$5 DIY manometer that uses two bottles, two stoppers and some tubing that will prevent oil from entering the carbs. I used water with some food coloring and it worked great with no chance of getting fluid in carbs. FWIW...
Yea, thanks man! I need to revisit the balance thing anyways.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 PM

I ended up making one of the cheap ones today, but just in case something got sucked into the carbs (it didn't, i synced as good as I could by ear first) I used some fuel system cleaner that was a yellowish color from GunkOut. Said it was safe for carbs on the bottle.

I figured if it got sucked up, no biggie there.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Yeah, you can use seafoam too. You want to suck that into your carbs!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Hey, that's an excellent idea!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
Yeah, you can use seafoam too. You want to suck that into your carbs!
Fergy - that is so simple, I failed to even think of it! Great suggestion!

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced