Bike won't idle without choke - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
former lurker

Bike won't idle without choke

Hi all,

I've had this bike since last fall (02, 4200 mi.). Before I got it, the carbs had been cleaned, and a new petcock installed. I took the recommendations from this forum and added seafoam to the 1/2 tank of gas and ran it until I was sure it had gone through the system. Then I covered it and put it away for it's winter nap.

This spring , I had problems getting it started, so I changed out the battery to an MF Big Crank , and replaced all the plugs with NGK iridiums. That made starting it much easier, but it didn't solve the idle/choke issue

The bike won't keep an idle without some, if not all the choke (lever pulled towards the driver) on. I've tried all the combinations of adjusting the idle up and down, choke in and out, and bike warm and cold. The only way I can keep it lit is to keep the choke lever pulled all the way towards me, and then setting the idle to about 1500 rpm, once it's all warmed up.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

TIA
Frank

VulcanFrank

'02 VN750/4266 mi.
Big Crank MF battery
Small floorboards.
Siliconed swingarm covers and tool box lock
Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium plugs
VROC #27777

Coming soon:
R/R move
voltmeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Bottom line for this is that your carbs aren't drawing fuel the way they should - could be that they weren't cleaned as well as they were said to have been, or that there is a vacuum leak somewhere and the draw is poor. Easiest first step is to check all of your connections to the carburetors, particularly the vacuum hoses off of each carb (on the front (left) carb, should go from the brass nipple to the vacuum off the petcock; rear from the brass nipple back to the emissions cannister).

Good luck!

C
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:01 AM

How was it running before you "winerized" it? You should always fill the tank to the top and add seafoam, leaving almost no space in the tank to collect moisture. The seafoam should do a good job of keeping the fuel from getting old, but with only half a tank, maybe you gave it enough space to condensate and build up moisture. It sounds to me like your idle jets are clogged up with varnish. I don't know if you can remove them and shoot some Chemtool B12 carb cleaner in there without removing the carbs and giving the whole thing a good cleaning. If it were me, I would count the turns going in til the idle mix screws just bottom out (not tight as you can damage the brass screws), and then remove them and the springs and shoot some carb cleaner into the tiny ports to see if you can loosen up the gunk. Then re-install the screws, again bottoming them out slightly then count the turns back out to where the original settings were. See if that clears it up.

Cindy has some good advice there also, as I didn't think of a possible vacuum leak. That actually makes more sense, because a vacuum leak would cause a lean condition and the choke added would try to bring the mix back to a more rich condition... Good call!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Last edited by fergy; 07-13-2009 at 10:04 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Vintage bike addict

Try this... Dump half a bottle of Seafoam in the tank and ride it. Get up to over 5k rpm and open the choke. If it will keep climbing increase rpm to 9k no shifting and stay within the speed limit. Chop the throttle and let it coast down to 5k and gas it up to 9k again. Do that four or five times and see if it has cleared enough to idle without the choke. If yes great! If no try it a few more times. Still no joy? Clean the carbs again your low speed jets are gummed.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
former lurker

Thanks all for the responses. I'm going to check the vacuum lines when I get home today.

When I apply the choke, moving the lever towards me, the engine revs up just as if I were twisting the throttle, so I can see where it might be an issue with the vacuum lines.

VulcanFrank

'02 VN750/4266 mi.
Big Crank MF battery
Small floorboards.
Siliconed swingarm covers and tool box lock
Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium plugs
VROC #27777

Coming soon:
R/R move
voltmeter
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 05:12 PM

I could roll down there this weekend and give you a hand with it Frank, if you still need it, and have the time and all. Just shoot me a PM if you want, my email is currently "intercoursed".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement