Idling issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Idling issue

I rode it into work Wed with no issues,then yesterday on my way to work it decided to stall out every time I went to stop.Found out it will stay running when fully choked.On the way home it ran alright with the choke off but only as long as I was accelerating or basically keeping throttle pressure.As soon as I went to decell it would stall unless I flicked the choke on.
I cleaned the air filters,to no avail,and checked the plugs which didnt look too bad.However I am going to go get new plugs along with a much needed oil filter and change today.I am kinda wondering if I got bad gas or maybe water in my gas.After all its done nothing but rain here for 2 months it seems.I did put seafoam in yesterday before I came home but that doesnt seem to have helped yet.Anybody got any suggestions?

mbn321
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Old Truck Junkie

If you suspect water, buy some water remover. It is cheap treats a car fuel tank. I use one called "heet". Hope it helps. Also after it clears up you may want to run on reserve for a few mile to clean out the fuel at bottom of the tank.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:45 AM

I've had similar problems after the bike got rained on. Drained each of the carbs and the problem went away instantly. I've been using seafoam since then and not had any recuring problems problems.

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I personally would stick to seafoam, as it does a good job of removing water. That's where it's name comes from! Just FYI!
Did you just put gas in it? Or is this all with the same tank of gas?

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I actually put some dry gas in first when I got to work then added some seafoam after work in addition to topping off my tank which was about half full.Yes it was the same gas as what the bike had been running on fine two days before.Like I said previously I am really leaning toward moisture,I dont make it a habit of riding in the rain but that seems to be all it wants to do this summer.

mbn321
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Well I was able to drain the right float bowl and got what looked to be couple ounces watery looking gas out.But then upon trying to drain the left one stripped the drain plug.So now short of pulling the carbs I am not sure how to proceed.I did drain the tank and am going to get some fresh gas.Kinda hoping that that with seafoam will remove whatever water is left.Also toying with idea of taking float bow off but I am not sure if screws are accessible enough and if it can be done without tearing the gasket.

mbn321
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

make sure you heed the suggestion to run on Reserve for awhile as water is heavier than gas and will sit in the bottom of your tank. After all the treatments fill your tank and run half of it out on reserve to get all the old stuff out.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Calif Rider

A long with draining the carbs completely drain the fuel tank also. Most likely there is still a lot of water in the bottom of the tank.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all,,I drained the tank,drained the carbs,still didnt do much.So then after looking through the manual some more checked the throttle cables.They seemed to be okay,not too much slack.So then I tried turning the idle screw in and lo and behold I think we got her.Rode her into town and topped off the tank,played with the idle screw there and back and I think she is running pretty good right at the moment.Course now the question is how the screw got turned out to begin with.I have my suspicions my son might have had somthing to do with it but thats somthing he will never admit.

mbn321
Advertisement