Stays Revved and Gas Smell After Carb Clean - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)
 
Stays Revved and Gas Smell After Carb Clean

Cleaned that carb and got it back in (a miracle) and I SEEM to have my power back - I can actually get it up to 60 when only in 3rd gear.

Now, it seems that when I am going that fast and I pull in the clutch and let off the throttle - the RPMs stay around 4500 - 5000 until I slow down. IT COULD be a timing thing that after a while the RPMs will go down - but in the short time I have test driven it it seems that the RPMs start to go down again when I slow down to about 20 mph. Other than that it seems to idle right around 1100 RPM. (Dumb question) Is this normal??

Also, the bike bike has a gassy smell (yea) and I really notice it after a ride. I had two co-workers come to me already commenting on it. THE PROBLEM EXISTED BEFORE THE CARB CLEAN. No leaks, nothing.... I do know that the old spark plugs I pulled out were black - if that helps.

Now - I have not tuned my carb and I don't really know how to - so that could be it and something I have to learn / do next.
SyntaxJO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
denny6006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: InezKY pop.600
Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (9)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntaxJO View Post
Cleaned that carb and got it back in (a miracle) and I SEEM to have my power back - I can actually get it up to 60 when only in 3rd gear.

Now, it seems that when I am going that fast and I pull in the clutch and let off the throttle - the RPMs stay around 4500 - 5000 until I slow down. IT COULD be a timing thing that after a while the RPMs will go down - but in the short time I have test driven it it seems that the RPMs start to go down again when I slow down to about 20 mph. Other than that it seems to idle right around 1100 RPM. (Dumb question) Is this normal??

Also, the bike bike has a gassy smell (yea) and I really notice it after a ride. I had two co-workers come to me already commenting on it. THE PROBLEM EXISTED BEFORE THE CARB CLEAN. No leaks, nothing.... I do know that the old spark plugs I pulled out were black - if that helps.

Now - I have not tuned my carb and I don't really know how to - so that could be it and something I have to learn / do next.
as for the rpm's not going down you have something binding in the throttle cables ,return spring or your cables are in a bind or misadjusted I'd look at the carb with the engine off and see if the trottle linkage is returning to position after you twist he throttle back to the off position,I would fix that problem before I did any thing else, it will get you hurt!!!




If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot



Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
denny6006 is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
as for the rpm's not going down you have something binding in the throttle cables ,return spring or your cables are in a bind or misadjusted I'd look at the carb with the engine off and see if the trottle linkage is returning to position after you twist he throttle back to the off position,I would fix that problem before I did any thing else, it will get you hurt!!!
So you think it eventually just snaps back into place after a while/slow down?
SyntaxJO is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
denny6006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: InezKY pop.600
Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (9)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntaxJO View Post
So you think it eventually just snaps back into place after a while/slow down?
More like the engines vibrations are shaking it as you let it come back down I think you have it very close to right and it still lacks just a little because it eventually does come back down on its own,Right?it could be a throttle cable or a linkage or throttle plate rubbing,but since our bikes are new enough to have push- pull throttles it should back off when you twist it back manually.Provided nothing is rubbing on something else or out of adjustment. With the bike in neutral open it up a little while running and watch real close where the cables go in their respective holes on the carb linkage,if it doesn't idle back down immediately when you close the throttle twist grip take a screw driver and push them back into place where they are supposed to be at idle and see if the pressure you applied caused it to Idle down ,if it did something is in a bind and it doesn't take much to cause a sticky throttle, so look closely.




If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot



Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
denny6006 is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)
 
Ok I drove it home and the cables seem fine. Now it maintains high RPM at full stop - so I turned the idle down and it worked - but then it dies... so it's an idling problem. In lieu of that I posted a new thread.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...235#post105235
SyntaxJO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome