Shutdown Between Run & Res ? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Shutdown Between Run & Res ?

This was posted in responce on another thread & I hate to hyjack. I've never found an answer for this on the site. That doesn't mean I missed something. I'm a pretty casual browser. But I'm tired of pulling over & waiting for the bike to fire again.

& it always does. It acts like it has no fuel in between the initial Die & switch. Now I will say I noticed this happening after I shaved & did not rejet. I used a "Colortune" plug to justify my actions & in performance I have nothing to complain about... ecept when I get on it in twisties, I seem to die out after a little "Throttle Run", & that's understandable with the lack of fuel foer the performance. But why the die from run to res? FYI, The cock has been rebuilt recently... quit laughing and just answer! thanks all. Kanuck69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Vintage bike addict

I haven't had the problem you describe. On all of my bikes the motor will slow a nd sputter but quick reposition of the petcock to reserve and I can continue on running.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Old Fart

Garage
First question:

When you switch from run to reserve do you do this because the bike is begining to sputter like it is running out of gas?

Secound question:

This sounds like the phantom running out of gas syndrome...Have you tried keeping a spare key in the gas cap to open it up when the bike begins to faulter?

Third question:

Are you sure the bike needs to go to reserve...? meaning how much gas is in the tank when this happens?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
First question:

When you switch from run to reserve do you do this because the bike is begining to sputter like it is running out of gas? Yes

Secound question:

This sounds like the phantom running out of gas syndrome...Have you tried keeping a spare key in the gas cap to open it up when the bike begins to faulter? No, I only have one key.

Third question:

Are you sure the bike needs to go to reserve...? meaning how much gas is in the tank when this happens? Yes, I've clocked my milage several times & the fuel level would be at a range that I could need to switch. I know some just leave it on reserve but that doesn't seem like much of a solution.

KM
Had to type something.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 AM

I had the same problem and solved it by removing the plastic diaphram units from the gas cap. Remove the cap and do it on the work bench so you don't drop andy screws in the gas tank.
Mike G
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Search Goddess

When you switch from the "run" to "reserve" because the bike is sputtering like it is running out of gas.. it's because the bike IS running out of gas, from the main feed. That means you have air pockets in your lines, and no gas. Therefore it takes a little bit for the solid gas flow to resume.
I do not experience this if I switch over to reserve before the sputtering and do the switch when I see the gas indicator creeping towards that red zone.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Why do you let the fuel go so low that you have to switch to reserve in the first place? I have had to do that only once during my whole biking career. If you constantly do that, you eventually chop of pieces of rubber from the petcock, and guess where they end up! You'd better have in-line filters!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa View Post
Why do you let the fuel go so low that you have to switch to reserve in the first place? I have had to do that only once during my whole biking career. If you constantly do that, you eventually chop of pieces of rubber from the petcock, and guess where they end up! You'd better have in-line filters!
My commute is 136 miles round trip It happens more than you'd think that I need reserve. I guess my best solution is to leave it in res.

Last edited by kanuck69; 07-28-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: goof
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Calif Rider

I have noticed about the same, and I think that you loose vacuum when you switch from run to reserve. I also think that some of the hot fuel starts has to do with vapor lock in the fuel lines or air pockets after bike is hot and sits for about 15 min. If I let it set for about another 15 to 20 minutes it will easily start again. I have a good AGM battery and the iridium plugs. Just my 2 cents.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
My commute is 136 miles/218.87 round trip It happens more than you'd think that I need reserve. I guess my best solution is to leave it in res.
My two cents. I do exactly the same as you. I drive about 70 miles to work round trip. I use the reserve nearly every time as an "idiot light" to tell me I have about 20 miles to go.

Mine will sputter - I switch to reserve and no problems, BUT one cylinder seems to run out maybe ten seconds before the other so the engine is still running when I switch. I have accidently switched to "OFF" instead and it did as you describe. My point is: Possibly both your cylinders drop out at the same time???

Also, if you have an inline fuel filter, it may slow the return of fuel to the carbs when you switch to reserve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement