Introduced fuel (?) problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Introduced fuel (?) problem

Hi, I'm a longtime lurking noob (see thread in check-in) and have been reading great advice on here for the last few months. I have just tackled the hot-start problem on my VN700 by replacing the battery with a Westco and relocating the RR (using a bracket cunningly crafted by my dad, he's good at that sorta thing!). All was going smoothly until I finished the job and went for a ride. She now wont pull in 1st gear, I have to crank the revs right up to avoid stalling when letting out the clutch, and has severely limited power in 2nd and 3rd too. I also noticed a smell of petrol (gas) when I pulled off for the first time. Sounds like a petrol/air/carb issue to me, but I have no idea why it's just started and am worried I might have affected something somehow when fiddling around under the seat. If anyone can help me diagnose this I would be very grateful - I'm having to walk to work like a mug at the moment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I`m not really sure what the problem could be, but have you pulled a plug from each cylinder to see if it is flooding and wet inside?

Which route did you take to get to the r/r?
1. Remove battery and drill mounting studs out from inside the bottom of the battery box?
2. Remove rear tire and swing arm? or
3. Remove exhaust pipes and goats belly (pre muffler chamber), directly under the r/r and battery box?

Did you disconnect or bump any other hoses or electrical connectors?

Do you know if the bike was originally manufactured for sale in California, and has a whole rats nest of emission control hoses on the engine?

That`s more questions than answers, but if you answer them, then maybe lance or one of the other guys or gals can help you out. good luck

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-07-2009 at 02:59 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

One of the ignition coils is back by the battery box. Maybe something was inadvertently disconnected when you were working? Have you since gone over all the electrical connections to make sure they're all tight? And like Hoss mentioned, how much stuff did you take apart to do these 2 jobs?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

I unbolted the battery box and fuse box, disconnected as much of the electrical gubbins as I could easily and carefully, just to make tilting the battery box easier, then tilted it towards the left side of the bike and unbolted the rr with a little wrench. My guess is it's a coil or something else accidentally disconnected, so I will have to go thru when I get home from work. Thanks for the advice, i'll report back later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement