Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

What length are our cables?

Gang. Been hanging out w/ the guy selling off his little Harley shop and he has LOTS of cables. Throttle cable, clutch cable, maybe brake as well.

Question. We know Harley's are 1" bars and ours are 7/8". But are there different size cables as well? I don't mean length, I mean the "hookups" or whatever. The little balls on the end where they interface with the engine. Are they all the same?

And if so, what length are the standard cables on our bikes? Does anyone know or can you point me to a place where it's listed? I'm thinking maybe I can buy some longer cables cheap and get different handle bars down the road.

But you probably figured that out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

OK, I searched the site for this topic and found things like "I got a 12 inch over cable and should only have gotten 9". Does that mean there is one standard sized cable for all bikes in general and you just buy so much OVER? I figured it would be like pants- you'd always need a size. A VN750 throttle cable is (making this up) 30" but a Drifter 1800 is 36", etc.

And is there any difference on the ends? Are they all the same?

I might just buy the longest set of cables this guy has if the price is right and have them for later.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:16 AM

That is a great question that apparently has still not been answered.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750 with the following work done to it, after sitting for 19 years:
John 8:44
REV 2:9
REV 3:9
www.voat.co

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Most cables for motorcycles are model specific. It is however possible to find simple cables like trottle or clutch cables that could be used on other models.
The cable "ends", usually a metal barrel, do vary, but one could alter where they mount to fit non standard cables to a bike.
I believe (going from memory) Harley cable ends are larger than metric cable ends. Some cables have two part ends, but most have just a simple crimped on or molded on "cylinder".
Our clutch cable for instance has a mid located length adjuster, the one on my Triumph does not.
The short cable for the rear brake for instance might be harder to find a match from another model, and I'd warn about altering some other cable to fit.

So the answer here is it is possible to use a cable off a different model, but to my knowledge no one has compiled a chart or guide on what may be interchangeable.

If you need to know "how long" your cable is, you can just measure it

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 08-01-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 AM

I do have my push throttle cable, where the end broke off where it attaches to the carb, that I could potentially modify. I just find it surprising that no one has the stock length of the cable listed, since these bikes remained unchanged for 33 years.

'08 Road King Classic
www.voat.co
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Because there is no need to know it. You need a new one you go to a parts dept or online store and get one. If you're planning on adding ridiculously tall bars you get a tape and measure them.
Do you know exactly how long the sleeves are on your jacket?

Perhaps you should go measure all the stock cables and post the info here...I'll make it a "sticky" and all will be right in the world...

And remember you need to measure not just the outer housing from end to end, but also measure the length of the cable itself "barrel to barrel" not to mention the diameter of the furrels on each end and the shape and size of those barrels.
ubertalldude likes this.

Last edited by Knifemaker; 08-02-2019 at 02:36 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Because there is no need to know it. You need a new one you go to a parts dept or online store and get one. If you're planning on adding ridiculously tall bars you get a tape and measure them.
Do you know exactly how long the sleeves are on your jacket?

Perhaps you should go measure all the stock cables and post the info here...I'll make it a "sticky" and all will be right in the world...

And remember you need to measure not just the outer housing from end to end, but also measure the length of the cable itself "barrel to barrel" not to mention the diameter of the furrels on each end and the shape and size of those barrels.

Yeah... If everyone had the same sized sleeve, someone would probably have that measurement, so you’re comparing apples to oranges. And unlike the sleeve false equivalency, we all have the same stock lengths of cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'08 Road King Classic
www.voat.co
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:49 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSattler View Post
Yeah... If everyone had the same sized sleeve, someone would probably have that measurement, so you’re comparing apples to oranges. And unlike the sleeve false equivalency, we all have the same stock lengths of cables.
If think you misunderstood my point. You don't need to know the length of your sleeve. You know you normally wear a 38 medium but have no idea exactly how long the sleeve is, you just know it fits. (I doubt you even know the length of your arm) so you don't ask for a jacket with 26" sleeves when you go out to buy one.
When you need a new cable, you don't ask the parts guy for a 34" inch clutch cable, you ask for a clutch cable for a Vulcan 750. (Or 700)

Saying you need a 34" cable tells him nothing.

I wasn't trying to be snippy here, just point out that although someone may have posted the length of a cable at sometime on this forum, no one thought it was important information.

Do you know the length of the stock grips? How many bolts hold the clutch cover on? These are things anyone that owns a VN700/750 can find out for themselves if they feel that information important.

You revived a ten year old post and asked why no one answered the OP's question. The answer is because no one cared.
MSattler likes this.

Last edited by Knifemaker; 08-03-2019 at 10:52 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
If think you misunderstood my point. You don't need to know the length of your sleeve. You know you normally wear a 38 medium but have no idea exactly how long the sleeve is, you just know it fits. (I doubt you even know the length of your arm) so you don't ask for a jacket with 26" sleeves when you go out to buy one.
When you need a new cable, you don't ask the parts guy for a 34" inch clutch cable, you ask for a clutch cable for a Vulcan 750. (Or 700)

Saying you need a 34" cable tells him nothing.

I wasn't trying to be snippy here, just point out that although someone may have posted the length of a cable at sometime on this forum, no one thought it was important information.

Do you know the length of the stock grips? How many bolts hold the clutch cover on? These are things anyone that owns a VN700/750 can find out for themselves if they feel that information important.

You revived a ten year old post and asked why no one answered the OP's question. The answer is because no one cared.

Okay, I did misunderstand you, and thought you were trying to be a ****. I get your point about the replacement cable is usually just “I need one for a vn750”. But there’s a lot of people who have modified their bars, and this question keeps coming up. If searching for vn750 -4” cable turned up something, it would’ve been a simple solution. Like the saint that posted the KZ solution to the long clutch cable, I was hoping the throttle would be the same. I have found the clutch cables are listed, but the throttle cable lengths were not. Would a KZ throttle cable work? I couldn’t tell you!

Also, the stock grip, going off of memory mine was roughly 6” on the throttle side and 5.5” on the clutch side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'08 Road King Classic
www.voat.co
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Glad you understand.
And I was serious about you (or someone) measuring the lengths of all the stock cables housing, along with photos/measurements of the end fittings, and the total length of the inner cable.
I do agree this information might be useful to some, and am willing to make a permanent thread that has this information.

If you go to a place that makes custom length cables, like Barnett, there's a guide to pick the types of cable ends, (barrels, balls,"T's", etc) , type of housing,
(Steel braid, gloss black, etc) along with total length.
Some of these measurements are critical, as even if the cable housing is the desired length, if the cable inside is a bit too long and can't be adjusted correctly the cable would be useless.
A search on various sites that sell custom cables seems to show they don't even list the Vulcan 750 if you're looking for replacement. Poor support in the aftermarket world is no surprise to Vulcan owners, we've come to expect it.

I found this online, "How to shorten" a cable. Good information, but tell me, did this guy just put a live round into a heated cup?

Last edited by Knifemaker; 08-03-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement