What length are our cables? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:05 PM

What length are our cables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Glad you understand.
And I was serious about you (or someone) measuring the lengths of all the stock cables housing, along with photos/measurements of the end fittings, and the total length of the inner cable.
I do agree this information might be useful to some, and am willing to make a permanent thread that has this information.

If you go to a place that makes custom length cables, like Barnett, there's a guide to pick the types of cable ends, (barrels, balls,"T's", etc) , type of housing,
(Steel braid, gloss black, etc) along with total length.
Some of these measurements are critical, as even if the cable housing is the desired length, if the cable inside is a bit too long and can't be adjusted correctly the cable would be useless.
A search on various sites that sell custom cables seems to show they don't even list the Vulcan 750 if you're looking for replacement. Poor support in the aftermarket world is no surprise to Vulcan owners, we've come to expect it.

I found this online, "How to shorten" a cable. Good information, but tell me, did this guy just put a live round into a heated cup?

https://youtu.be/FzARBO7Zcnc

Thanks for posting that! I think I will definitely give It a try. I cannot believe the scissors from his pocket knife was able to cut that metal cable, and the metal jacket. I still cannot wrap my mind around that. Also, that was definitely a .40 cal live bullet. Yes, the lead would melt, but then you’d have gun powder in your molten lead.... why not separate the casing and the projectile? Or use some sinkers? I have so many questions about this video.... I will have to look for a barrel online, because I have my push throttle that was broken to try this with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750 with the following work done to it, after sitting for 19 years:
John 8:44
REV 2:9
REV 3:9
www.voat.co
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:57 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Yes, OMG.
There was a scene in the movie "Hot Shots!" I believe where Charlie Sheen cut his was through a chain link fence using tiny scissors like that. I laughed then, and I laughed this time too at this video.

Those are not "wire cutters", those are scissors, and besides lacking the leverage to cut anything thicker than 18 gauge wire unless you have Herculaniain grip strength, they'd still crush the cable or the wound metal in the housing.

That and using a candle to heat that metal cup instead of a propane torch, (with no suggestions on where one would find such cup at home) besides the bullet possibly being a dummy round, it's clearly copper jacketed, and not sure you can melt copper with a candle.

The ludicrous tools aside, I question the security of that cable end "soldered" on to that barrel over time.
However the concept of what he did does hold water, just not the way it was accomplished.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Yes, OMG.
There was a scene in the movie "Hot Shots!" I believe where Charlie Sheen cut his was through a chain link fence using tiny scissors like that. I laughed then, and I laughed this time too at this video.

Those are not "wire cutters", those are scissors, and besides lacking the leverage to cut anything thicker than 18 gauge wire unless you have Herculaniain grip strength, they'd still crush the cable or the wound metal in the housing.

That and using a candle to heat that metal cup instead of a propane torch, (with no suggestions on where one would find such cup at home) besides the bullet possibly being a dummy round, it's clearly copper jacketed, and not sure you can melt copper with a candle.

The ludicrous tools aside, I question the security of that cable end "soldered" on to that barrel over time.
However the concept of what he did does hold water, just not the way it was accomplished.

I feel like we are being bamboozled by his techniques, although the principle seems solid. I just ordered some 7mm by 6mm barrel nipples and will take photos of the process. If they work, we may finally put this 10 year old question to bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750 with the following work done to it, after sitting for 19 years:
John 8:44
REV 2:9
REV 3:9
www.voat.co
Sponsored Links
Advertisement