Still having trouble! Help!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Still having trouble! Help!!!

Hi there
I have a VN750 with what seems a fuel / air / ignition problem. It refuses to rev properly over 5k RPM smoothly - when I can rarely get it above that it sounds great! Appears to idle ok. This is when running on the centre stand, havent even ridden the bike that 2 feet so far! Grrr - thanks E-bay, simple fix my a$$.!

Local garage advised me to get a used pair of carbs and try them (great advice?)- well, got some and exactly the same problem.
I think it is a Japanese import (1985) - VIN number VN750A000535, I am in the UK.

I have since replaced all the plugs and plug caps - the existing plugs were sooty black indicating too rich a fuel picture. What I have noticed that on the right hand carb (as you sit on the bike) - the old set of carbs had a rubber stopper over an inlet/outlet at the rear of the r/h carb. This one is open and I do not have a clue whether I should block this, leave it open. It does create a vacuum when running - I guess its some emission thing not required in the UK. It does make a diference when blocked or open but does not sure the running problem.

Next steps gratefully received, otherwise it's 45 / hour in the local dealer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyf View Post
Hi there
I have a VN750 with what seems a fuel / air / ignition problem. It refuses to rev properly over 5k RPM smoothly - when I can rarely get it above that it sounds great! Appears to idle ok.

What I have noticed that on the right hand carb (as you sit on the bike) - the old set of carbs had a rubber stopper over an inlet/outlet at the rear of the r/h carb. This one is open and I do not have a clue whether I should block this, leave it open. It does create a vacuum when running - I guess its some emission thing not required in the UK. It does make a diference when blocked or open but does not sure the running problem.
There should be a boot running from the bellmouth of that carb to the airbox - when riding, this allows relatively "still" air (and filtered!) to enter the carburetor so that the vacuum set-up works right. Lance328 might pop in on this one, but it's possible that without the boot, you're taking too much air into the carb and it's probably running lean on the OEM main jet. Do you have a boot for it?

C
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I think he is talking about the hose that goes to the valve under the seat. If so plug it off with a piece of hose and a small bolt.

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Hi there
Thanks, Ok - plugged it off, it is at the rear of the right hand carb. Still running rubbish though. Any ideas guys?
Cheers
Tony
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Think I've sorted it!!!

Checked the air filter connectors and they were not on quite right plus the vacuum hose from the pet-cock to the left hand carb had a virtually invisible slight split in it.
Got a mate coming around on Friday to balance the carbs properly for me and that's it. First road trip next Saturday / Sunday!!

CHUFFED!

Tony
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 02:10 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Post up your results are he's done.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:47 AM
D2u
D2u

Sounds like your on the right path.Hope you and you M8 get it running good.

1992 VN750 22,350 miles 18,700 when I bought it last year 04/17/2008

Streetshield EX
degoat
drilled mufflers
splines lubed
Capped (soon to be coaster)
Custom Grips
Wide blade levers
Throw over leather saddlebags
Deka MF AGM ETX15L
NGK Iridums
DIY Brackets,and highway pegs

To do list.
custom seat
teardrop mirrors
DIY Floor boards
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

I certainly hope so!!

I've had the bike for nearly 2 months and have gone nowhere. We finally have some stunning weather over here and it would be WRONG WRONG WRONG to not take advantage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement