The Floods CONTINUE..NEED HELP! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

The Floods CONTINUE..NEED HELP!

Here's my situation:

I have a 86' Vulcan that has been sitting back home in my parents garage for around 5 years. I got up and left for Arizona and i periodically come back and do some work on it but have never got it to fully start because of the same problem! Now I'm back home going at it again. I took apart the carb numerous time and cleaned everything over and over and made sure everything was in order. Yet like the all my previous attempts i encountered gas flooding everywhere while trying to get the bike to turn over. My gut feeling is that gas is just pouring in the carb. not being controlled perhaps because of a worn needle. However when looking at the needle it does not look too worn at all. So before i go spending money on my bike back home i want to get some suggestions on what this might exactly be.

The Problem:

Flooding of Carbs. through Left Air Box while getting the bike to turn over.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:27 AM

make sure the floats are not sticking

DRAGONRIDER
RIDE LONG AND RIDE SAFE
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Do you have spark on the front cylinder, left side?

C

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I don't know much about this carbs, but do the needle valves have a rubber seat. If so the rubber seat may be old and cracked.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 09:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatri View Post
Here's my situation:

I have a 86' Vulcan that has been sitting back home in my parents garage for around 5 years. I got up and left for Arizona and i periodically come back and do some work on it but have never got it to fully start because of the same problem! Now I'm back home going at it again. I took apart the carb numerous time and cleaned everything over and over and made sure everything was in order. Yet like the all my previous attempts i encountered gas flooding everywhere while trying to get the bike to turn over. My gut feeling is that gas is just pouring in the carb. not being controlled perhaps because of a worn needle. However when looking at the needle it does not look too worn at all. So before i go spending money on my bike back home i want to get some suggestions on what this might exactly be.

The Problem:

Flooding of Carbs. through Left Air Box while getting the bike to turn over.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
you are probably right about gas getting by the needle valve and you need to check the seat on the carb that is flooding too,I fought with one of these problems and pulled the carbs of 3 times on a customer bike that had been to another shop.A scratch on a needle valve seat smaller than a human hair will keep the needle from seating and let gas pour by it . If you don't find anything wrong with the seat,buy anew needle even if it doesn't look worn.As these carbs have side hung floats I think you can hold them in the normal operating position on the bench with the bowl off and hook up a gravity feed bottle to the flooding carb and move the float up and down manually and see if it is shutting off the fuel flow ,just use some type of nonflamable liquid when testing this way,you could just need to adjust the float level.I know this can be tested on the bike with a clear tube but if it is wrong they have to come off anyway,I ended up changing the middle of the carbs on the bike I was talking because some one" cleaned the seat" with something sharp.Good Luck,Denny

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

When i had the carbs out i did not notice any rubber seats for the float needls, and don't see them on the parts diagram,
also wondering,
As I checked the float height, I blew threw the fuel line to see where the needle would plug and stop me from blowing into the tubing, it stopped me from blowing into it, could the needles be bad?, could fuel still pass if it stopped air?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:09 AM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatri View Post
When i had the carbs out i did not notice any rubber seats for the float needls, and don't see them on the parts diagram,
also wondering,
As I checked the float height, I blew threw the fuel line to see where the needle would plug and stop me from blowing into the tubing, it stopped me from blowing into it, could the needles be bad?, could fuel still pass if it stopped air?
There are no rubber seats, do the float needles look worn? If so replace, clean thoroughly and fill fuel lines and check for leaks before you install.

I would replace the float and jet cover o-rings, they are prone to leak once removed on older bikes.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:49 AM
The Professor

Do you by any chance have the carb vent hose hooked to the nipple on the right front of the surge tank?

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 05:25 AM

Garage
Lance is correct our bikes do not have rubber seats they are tapered and made of brass and are easily scratched by sharp or hard objects,It sounds like yours are sealing but some times liquid will leak past when you can physically hold them up,for two different reasons 1.You may be exerting more force than the float can and forcing a "false seal"2. I think Lance has pointed this out in the previous post,you can have a damaged or out of adjustment float or needle,valve. While a needle can look perfect to the naked eye the Viton tip may be hardened or have damage or wear not visible to the naked eye,or the taper may have a ring built up around the sealing surface that you can not see.when in doubt or having an obvious flooding problem.I would replace the needle valve and float on the front or rear carb ,whichever cyl. was flooding out .Do you have the exhaust crossover removed,so you can be sure which is the offending cylinder, and are you sure it is a fuel problem ?Lots of times we assume we have carb problems when it may be a symptom rather than an underlying cause. I was taught to remember C.I.F. it means to check in this order- 1.Compression-no engine without the proper compression will burn fuel efficiently. 2.Ignition-A faulty ignition system ,on our bikes this is the ignitor,coils ,wires ,plugs and all wires and switches and connections in the circuit, if these components are not working properly improper or no combustion will occur.3.Fuel.check all components of the fuel delivery system,Tank,petcock,fuel lines,vacuum lines and the carbs.Too many times we (me included) will make the leap to carbs,before checking the first two items for problems and cause ourselves more problems before finding the original problem and masking the underlying problem making it harder to find.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

.I would replace the needle valve and float on the front or rear carb ,whichever cyl. was flooding out .

So I should replace the floats also???
I held them under water for a few seconds and did see any water in them, so they didn't leak,

Also what would be the best (easiest) way to figure out which cylinder is flooding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement