Hoses - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Hoses

Ok,
Still putting it back together after pulling the motor and am trying to figure out where the hoses go.
1. Short hose from petcock to front carb.
2. Hose runs from emissions to rear carb.
3. 2 hoses from carbs run to T fitting then either runs to right filter housing or fuel sending unit under tank.
4. This last one has me stumped. I have a really long host that is sitting loose on top of the motor and hanging down the back. I thik this one connects to the fuel sending unit but I have no idea where the other end goes. Please help.

This forum is great. You guys have been very helpful.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlee View Post
Ok,
Still putting it back together after pulling the motor and am trying to figure out where the hoses go.
1. Short hose from petcock to front carb.
2. Hose runs from emissions to rear carb.
3. 2 hoses from carbs run to T fitting then either runs to right filter housing or fuel sending unit under tank.
4. This last one has me stumped. I have a really long host that is sitting loose on top of the motor and hanging down the back. I thik this one connects to the fuel sending unit but I have no idea where the other end goes. Please help.

This forum is great. You guys have been very helpful.
Rick
Ok, so these are all the smaller diameter hoses, not the emissions ones. That's good.

1. Vacuum line - comes from petcock to vacuum port (nipple) on the front carb.
2. Vacuum line for rear carb - comes from vacuum port (nipple) on rear carb and runs back to the emissions cannister.
3. The two lines coming off the carbs to the "t" fitting are your vents for the carbs. That hose coming out of the "t" should sit inside the right air filter housing unit.
4. I "believe" what you're looking at there is the coolant overflow hose. It comes off the thermo unit right by the cap, slides under the frame but over the airbox, and then to the coolant bottle.

Hope that helps!

BTW - the fuel sending unit operates off a float in the tank, sending an electronic signal to show how much fuel is left. The unit is hooked up to the wiring harness by a small, two-prong connector. There is a tank vent hose, but it comes off the rear of the tank and hangs down inside the frame at the front of the saddle.

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 05-17-2009 at 07:50 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 12:09 AM

I am also trying to put the tank back on...

The carb vent hoses that T up to 1 hose that 'sits' in the right ear.. got it .. BUT I just eliminated the ear so what do I do with it now? Does it need some sort of vacuum? Surely it at least needs some filter so dust doesn't go into the carb.

There is a hose fitting on the tank sending unit. Is that for a vent hose to go under the the bike? I have a short and a long vacuum hose that I believe connects to that fitting and then tank vent fitting at the rear of the tank. The long one for the sending unit port and the short one for the rear vent?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by basherbob View Post
I am also trying to put the tank back on...

The carb vent hoses that T up to 1 hose that 'sits' in the right ear.. got it .. BUT I just eliminated the ear so what do I do with it now? Does it need some sort of vacuum? Surely it at least needs some filter so dust doesn't go into the carb.

There is a hose fitting on the tank sending unit. Is that for a vent hose to go under the the bike? I have a short and a long vacuum hose that I believe connects to that fitting and then tank vent fitting at the rear of the tank. The long one for the sending unit port and the short one for the rear vent?
The thing about the vent hose off the carbs is that you don't want air going back into a system that's trying to release it. The reason for the hose to sit behind the right ear is really not to filter anything, but to protect it from airflow while the bike is moving. Those of us who've had that hose come loose and face forward can tell you that carbs don't like to breathe air that way! One way to keep that from happening is to use a zip tie and tie the hose down and away from the inflow of air. Mine is zipped to....gosh, I can't remember what right now. But you just want to set it up so it mimics the sheltering effect of the air filter housing.

The hose fitting on the sending unit is..I do believe all the venting necessary. I've never had anything hookedup tothat. The long hose sits off the nipple at the back of the tank,and goes through the frame (straight down) to vent.

C
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:30 PM

OK I will just zip tie the breather hose beneath the tank facing to the rear along with the short tank hose.
Thanks....
Bob....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 PM
The Professor

You can connect to the nipple on the sending unit, thats where the early models vented.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 11:16 PM

So I can't determine where on the right airbox this vent hose is supposed to go? I pretty sure that I got all the others correct I just don't see how that hose goes. Any help will be appreciated. The hose of the t-fitting leaves the vent hose towards the front of the bike, right? I am a little lost.

Chainsaw
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:22 PM

Help with the vent hose

I am still having issues figuring out where the vent hose from the carb goes. Is it the bit square hole or is is that littler hole above that. Click image for larger version

Name:	airbox.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	2221

Chainsaw
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 AM

It's the little hole with the slot just above your arrow. The hose goes in there but not all the way so the end of the hose is not blocked. I cut a 45 deg. on the end and put some silicone about an 3/4" back from the end and then pushed it in tell it stopped and then pulled it back about 1/2".

2000 VN750
gray and black
13,265 when I picked it up

Relocated R/R
Marbled
Relayed coils
Volt meter (Relayed)
Blue accent lighting
Iridium plugs
Turn signal buzzer
Highway pegs
Heated grips
Fork bag
Auburn leather saddle bags
Clock
Replaced front side reflectors with LED reflectors
Added LED lights to bottom of front tubes
Polished front tubes
Sylvania H4ST
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L
Regapped pickups to snug .020
TOC ACCT springs

Last edited by Reiki3; 08-11-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement