Another CA emmisions question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Another CA emmisions question

I have a '99 California emmisions bike. I marbled it over the weekend and it runs great. My question is in regards to the tube coming off the right side of the tank. It seems like old dog said to pull the hose and cap the tank. If so, do I then need to plug the hose as well or just remove it? Finally, the tube coming from the left side of the tank can just run straight down under the engine as a vent (remove it from the seperator/ return pump)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 11:15 PM
The Professor

Plug right tank vent, right carb vacuum port and let left tank vent to atmosphere.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:15 PM

i'll try this....

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Lance is right, but you are mixing 2 different systems. CA bikes (mine was one) have 2 completely separate systems, the air injection system that all VN750s have, and an evap emissions system. The best thing to do is to COMPLETELY remove both systems. That's what I did. Eliminated about 100' of hose and 20 pounds of junk. You will need to plug the reed valve ports on each head (I used rubber caps, but a neater way to do it is to use "coasters". You will need to plug the vacuum fitting on the rear carb, a couple of holes in the airbox, the right tank vent, and then run a line from the left tank vent down below the bike somewhere, and leave the end open. I even went so far as to remove the bracket that the evap cannister attaches to, which is difficult, because the swing arm gets in the way of removing the bolts. I unscrewed them part of the way, then cut the heads off, and unscrewed what was left of them was needle nose pliers. I was determined to get all that EPA crap off my bike. And it makes me feel so much better now that it is gone. Not only is the bike a LOT less cluttered, but the exhaust runs cooler, doesn't backfire on deceleration anymore, and the engine no longer suffers from starting/running problems if you fill the gas tank more than 3/4 full.

BTW, I live in the only county in the U.S. that emissions tests motorcycles, and mine still passes. A state law was passed almost 2 years ago eliminating the motorcycle emissions tests, but was contingent upon federal EPA approval. They have until July 31st 2010 to approve it. I'm sure hoping they do. I have 5 street bikes, and they all pass, but it is a real hassle, and very expensive. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 PM

I'm new with engine's so please bear with me! My evap system is gone, so now for the removal of the Air Injection system. So i need to remove the surge tank(Air injection System?)? Also, If I'm going to put K&N filters on, I will need to remove the air boxes as well?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 PM
'85 Bobber

Yes, remove surge tank and also remove air boxes.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. I think I'm going to read through the site more and then attempt this ear shave i keep seeing everywhere. The damn airboxes bug the hell outa me!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:08 PM

Look at pictures of bikes without them first. IMO, something needs to go there. I am considering removing the airbox and going with individual filters, but I either want the stock filter housings or something to replace them with to remain. It's the airbox and it's associated plumbing I don't like, not the "ears". It's kind of like the evap system and air injection I already removed. IMO, the simpler the better.

But. I just recently installed V&H Cruzers, and rejetted the carbs, and am concerned how that will affect it passing the emissions test, if we still have them when it comes due again in October. Most bikes here have aftermarket pipes, and still pass, but I still want to be sure before making any more jetting changes. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:14 PM

So i decided to wait on the attempt to modify my carbs with the K&N pods and just thought I should at least try to get it running first. I plugged the right gas tank vent, vacuum fitting on the rear carb (the right side correct?), and plugged the holes in the surge tank (this is the airbox correct?). I tried to start it up from there but it just would fire up. The electrical is all good and it turns over. The bike did have old gas in it when I bought it so my friend and I put some new gas to mix with the old and hoped that would help. My friend are going to try using some starter fluid and see if anything happens. If this doesn't do anything, can anyone help with some suggestions? Also, Jerry mentioned that I need to plug the Reed Valve Ports on each head, but I don't where or what these are. Someone please point me in the right direction!!! Thanks a ton!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:21 PM

How old was the old gas? If it was more than six months or you don't know, get rid of all the gas and start with fresh. But before you do, look in the tank to see if there is any rust in it. If so, you'll need to clean the tank before proceeding. You can do a search on tank cleaning here and get several methods that work. Have you cleaned the carbs or at least soaked them with Sea Foam?

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement