Standard ear air intake question? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Standard ear air intake question?

I am in the UK although the bike is still fitted with the US emissions reed valve system.

When I open my ears at the initial air intake there is a square rubber hose that bends at 90 degrees and ends just over the edge of the top of the filter element.

When I look in my 3 different manuals this part is not shown (what is shown is a simple square rubber grommet that just covers the square intake hole cut out of the back of the ear).

In all of the pictures I have seen of open ears I have only ever seen the simple square finishing grommet or just the bare square hole.

So, has anyone else seen the parts I'm talking about?

I was thinking that people might be removing them as they obviously cut down the airflow into the ear.

The part is definitely made for the bike but I was just interested as I've never seen them anywhere else and none of the manuals seem to show them.

Cheers, Trace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Have you checked the online manual here?

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 PM

Part information

Trace, I haven't seen that part before, but it sounds like you have a California/Switzerland model bike. The California/Switzerland bikes have some extra emissions parts. At the base of your fuel tank (under the lip of the seat) do you have two vents? If so, then you have the one of those models. That part is shown in the Clymers manual in diagram 75 on page 272, part number 15. It's labeled simply "Fitting (California and Switzerland only).

The manual on Ron Ayers site shows it as part # 92071A. Is that the part you're looking for? Take a look at the service manual page here (top left quadrant of pic, zoom in and it's inside a box):

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...r_Cleaner(1/2)

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

No the part I'm talking about is instead of #14703C on the main part of the ear.

Thanks for putting up the link it makes it a lot easier to explain what I'm talking about.

Cheers, Trace.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 05:12 PM

Huh. Weird. I've never even heard of something like that then. Sorry Trace.

Bookmark that site though, those diagrams and part numbers come in real handy.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Interesting, I took some measurements today and the unusual intake duct grommet/square rubber tubes on my bike cut down the air intake duct size by nearly exactly half.

I'm gonna take some pics of these so you can see them.

When I've got more time I'm gonna have to check the size of main jet in the carbs (removed the rubbers and definite fuel starvation when main jet takes over).

Bike goes like a train (I've seen just over 120mph on the speedo twice) but this is still an obvious air restriction (the parts are definitely made for the bike).

I find it interesting that with the many people that have viewed this thread and checking all the manuals and parts fiches I can find that nobody else seems to know about these parts.

Cheers, Trace.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 08:36 AM

Hi Trace. If you are on the look out for standard parts let me know. I'm going to look at a scrap 750 and possibly a 700 at the weekend (my petrol cap got crow-barred) If the air filters are still with the bikes I could get a price for you. I'm in the UK so postage wouldn't be much.

'89 VN750
14000 miles on 20th April 09
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Hi Retro,

I maybe interested in both of the 750 wheels but don't need them, it would have to be at rock bottom price as there is absolutely NO demand here for them.

But if they want some cash with no hassle quick, then I may make an offer.

Cheers, Trace.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace View Post
I find it interesting that with the many people that have viewed this thread and checking all the manuals and parts fiches I can find that nobody else seems to know about these parts.

Cheers, Trace.

My guess, unless you bought the bike new, is that someone replaced the stock grommet with the odd one you found. Guessing there ie one on both airboxes?

You did not mention the year either, but Kawasaki does not substitute parts without making note of it somewhere.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
didn't some of the euro models come with smaller main jets therefore the smaller air intake also .I am thinking out loud here all the intake rubber grommets going into the surge tank I have seen were oblong,Now I am confused that is the grommet we are looking at, correct? IGNORE THIS POST I WAS LOOKING AT THE WRONG END OF THE AIR FILTER HOUSING ,I really don't know I threw all that crap off mine in favor of K&N's Before I rode it.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 05-15-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement