OK, CA emissions and carbs - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
1992 VN 750

OK, CA emissions and carbs

I have been putting some serious TLC into my new bike for 3 months and the last two weeks it ran perfect. Then, all of a sudden it starts to act up and backfire, sputter and have much reduced power. I can only think that the carbs have become clogged up a little and that is the next step to getting this baby purring again. Oh, I also decided to coaster, put on V and H cruzers and remove the CA emissions.

On the CA stuff...just pull it all and plug the right vent tube on the tank? Until the Cruzers get here next week do I need to also need to plug the vacuum line that goes to the bottom of the bike that went into the air diaphram in front of the battery?

The carbs coming off tomorrow...time to clean them! Is it as hard as I read on this site to get them off?

1992 VN 750 / 18,100 miles
V and H Cruzers
Earshaved and sheared
110/90 and 170/80 Metzeler 880s
AGM Battery
TPE Stator
Clear Alternatives LED brakelight
Saddleman Explorer Seat
Kurakyn Levers
VN750.com Grill cover
SCP Coasters
Iridium plugs
MOSFET R/R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Newb with a Bullet!

The carbs are very difficult to get off. There is very little clearance around that hideous stock air breather box. I never took mine off myself- they've been off twice and each time were removed by friends who knew bikes well and were good mechanics- one was Kawi certified. And they both cursed blue streaks trying to get them off. Took them about 30-45 minutes and they knew what they were doing.

I don't have any specific advice not having done it personally (only watched it twice) but I can say this- it will be hard, be careful, take your time, and try not to get frustrated.

Oh, and there is a cast bracket of sorts on the bottom that joins the two, I don't know what you call it. But the cables mount to it or route through it somehow. Anyway, it can be broken and then you'll be screwed and need new carbs. I bought a pair on eBay that were broken in removal and used them for spare parts. Don't let that happen to you.

Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Kawika

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordolover View Post
Oh, I also decided to coaster, put on V and H cruzers and remove the CA emissions.

On the CA stuff...just pull it all and plug the right vent tube on the tank? Until the Cruzers get here next week do I need to also need to plug the vacuum line that goes to the bottom of the bike that went into the air diaphram in front of the battery?
I coastered and cruzer-ed my bike, too. It was not really running the best until I followed Old Dog's advice to get rid of the CA Evaporative Emissions stuff as he says...
"So if you don't live in Cal. get rid of that stuff, it almost got me run over a few times... Can't remember which is red and which is blue but I have the right side one plugged and the one on the left as the tank vent which I took out the bottom of the bike next to the battery vent..."

I capped-off everything else and it runs great now. Good Luck!!

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
1992 VN 750

OK...cleaned the carbs and got them back on. Coastered and then adjusted the air/fuel mixture to 2 1/4 turns. The idle backfire went away but it still lacks power when a load is applied. Is it possible it needs plug wires or a coil? The rear cylinder plugs are black and appear moist while the front plugs appear brownish and dry. The rear cylinder has some issues as it was always the one that had the bad carb and fuel running past the float anyway. It fires right up but has a little miss at idle. I am beginning to think that perhaps it needs some new wires now. I dont' mind tinkering with it so any ideas appreciated. It revs in neutral just fine...but the idle miss and occasional backfire leads me to believe that there is some unburned fuel in the rear cylinder and it fires off from time to time. When you say you got rid of the CA stuff...the right hose from the gas tank goes to it...are there some other items to dispense of as well?

Help...waiting on my V an H Cruzers to get here and I want it fixed in time to put them on!

1992 VN 750 / 18,100 miles
V and H Cruzers
Earshaved and sheared
110/90 and 170/80 Metzeler 880s
AGM Battery
TPE Stator
Clear Alternatives LED brakelight
Saddleman Explorer Seat
Kurakyn Levers
VN750.com Grill cover
SCP Coasters
Iridium plugs