Open Throttle, Fuel Starve...??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Question Open Throttle, Fuel Starve...???

Here I'm all excited about getting this bike outta my garage this weekend (I am in soooo much trouble with my little 'collection'...), and I'm running into a non-running issue. Bike is idling rough, but idling, so I dumped seafoam in. Not the main problem, however; as soon as I crack open the throttle, the engine cuts out. Obviously this is a fuel starvation problem, but is it because I've got a vacuum leak somewhere so open throttle, no fuel pull? Or is it because I've got a stuffed jet somewhere - open throttle no fuel pull? I've sprayed WD40 on the boots to the air filters boxes, boots between the carbs and airbox, and exhaust manifolds - no change in idle at all. I cleaned the carbs (a couple o' times) and certainly don't mind pulling them again if that's the issue; but I am not sure how to rule out other things now.

Anybody got any helpful advice? Thanks.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Old Truck Junkie

With todays fuel, it ussually the carbs that are the problem. Used to when fuel evaped, it left almost nothing behind. Nowadays, the fuel evaps and leaves a sticky film of gunk in the carbs. Sea foams cleans some of the gunk, but some times the gunk shunks are too big to pass through the jets. A good cleaning and blowing out with air is the best thing to do.
It is easy to give advise, I sure hate to be the one cleaning the carbs.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
With todays fuel, it ussually the carbs that are the problem. Used to when fuel evaped, it left almost nothing behind. Nowadays, the fuel evaps and leaves a sticky film of gunk in the carbs. Sea foams cleans some of the gunk, but some times the gunk shunks are too big to pass through the jets. A good cleaning and blowing out with air is the best thing to do.
It is easy to give advise, I sure hate to be the one cleaning the carbs.
Too true. Well, I'm getting better at pulling carbs with the airbox in and the ears on, so maybe I can get this sorted out by the end of the weekend. Blah. Nice weekend, too - would be a good time to sell.

C

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Pulled the carbs yesterday and cleaned them six ways to Sunday. They really didn't look too bad (shouldn't have, since this was the third cleaning), but I hit every jet with carb cleaner, air dried the carbs, etc., etc. Got everything ready to go tonight and...POOH! Same result - as soon as I touch the throttle, the engine cuts out like it's run out of fuel. I obviously haven't been able to sync the carbs yet, but I'm assuming that that's not the issue (else the engine would start in the first place).

The only other thing I noticed tonight was that when I went to pull the tank back off the bike, the vacuum hose had sucked up a bunch of gas outta the petcock. Which is a sign of...well, something not right in the fuel/air business. Anybody? Anybody?

C
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Petcock diaphram is torn. You are not getting fuel to the carbs.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Petcock diaphram is torn. You are not getting fuel to the carbs.
Just to the vacuum line...lol I have a rebuild kit in the toolbox, so hopefully I can fix this by tomorrow. Thanks, buddy!!

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement