Here we go "AGAIN" - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

As most of you know this bike has given me trouble right from the get go. Recently it was taken apart for some repairs(coolant in the oil) so i split the cases to give it a good clean and make sure everything was in tip top shape. New mech seal , new gaskets all round etc. I had it running before i took it apart so this has left me stumped. Right here goes. Went to start the bike after the rebuild and nothing. Cranks and cranks with the odd shotgun bang 😁 ( scares the **** outta me everytime). But no start. Battery is brand new mf battery, timing is spot on 305* as i wont make the same mistake twice. Everything lines up with all the marks. Starter is perfect. Good blue spark from the plugs. My carbs do need a little work (float stuck i think) but there is fuel in the bowls after i prime them. Here the funny part. After cranking the plugs still look dry. So next step. Try starter fluid. Few squirts of starter fluid and still nothing. Anyone any ideas why it wont start. Im at my withs end with this bike. Im at the stage of just getting rid of it. Any help much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 06:48 AM

Was going to say, get fuel into it, but you did and starting fluid too.

Airbox clogged with old filter foam?

Getting good compression?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Was going to say, get fuel into it, but you did and starting fluid too.

Airbox clogged with old filter foam?

Getting good compression?
the bike has the ear shave done to her. So get this. Just went out. Took tank off last night and drained the bowls. Sprayed starter fluid into it and she ran for about a second. Put a small bit of fuel in the bowls, gave it a shot of starter fluid and she fired up. But only with full choke and full throttle. Even then it sounded like she was bogging down. Any ideas what could cause this. Im lost to be honest. But at least it ran even if it was bogging

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:12 AM

Sounds like it's just not getting enough fuel. Make sure the petcock is flowing.

I'll put gas in a Windex bottle and force feed if I have to. Have to watch those lean backfires though.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sounds like it's just not getting enough fuel. Make sure the petcock is flowing.

I'll put gas in a Windex bottle and force feed if I have to. Have to watch those lean backfires though.
yeh it was backfiring like crazy. Could it be all down to a carb problem. Plugs were wet when i checked just after she ran
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:32 AM

Well getting it fired may have gotten the fuel flowing.

Backfires can be due to being lean, opening the throttle and giving it too much air, and low voltage to the CDI can cause backfire.

2003-21k mi

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well getting it fired may have gotten the fuel flowing.

Backfires can be due to being lean, opening the throttle and giving it too much air, and low voltage to the CDI can cause backfire.
ok thank you spockster. Im going to rebuild the carbs anyhow so we will see what happens. Thanks for you help.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:50 AM

Garage
Leaks around the carb boots can create a lean condition, might be worth checking.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Leaks around the carb boots can create a lean condition, might be worth checking.
i will make sure to check it. Thanks for your input
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Ok so a range of new problems arised. Got the bike starting first push of the button after i squeeky cleaned the carbs. Now the bloddy thing wont rev passed 2k. It started by firing only on the rear cylinder but once i got this sorted and running it startrd popping like crazy. I also noticed that the vacuum slides are vibrating like crazy. I have a leaky petcock but even with the tank off and just the fuel in the bowls it does the same. It idles fine for a bit but if i even look at the throttle is dies. Any one any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement