Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Air through carbs when cranking, very odd issue

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  VN750Rider/Jerry 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a very strange issue with the front cylinder of my 1990 Vulcan. When I try and start the bike, after a few cranks, there will be a loud noise followed by a faint bit of smoke/air forcefully shooting out the intake on the carbs. The engine will also kick back and temporarily stop cranking.

Other information:

This does not occur with front spark plugs disconnected. When they are disconnected, the rear cylinder will start on its own perfectly fine.

One of the front plugs was fouled/had no spark/was very oily.

Valves are not sticking, and hold a seal. I put gas over the closed intake valves and it did not drain into the cylinder. It also has good compression.

With carbs off, cranking the engine over and placing my hand over the port results in me feeling a very strong suction, and no pushback from just the valves.

With the use of starter fluid, I can get the engine to fun for a moment or two on BOTH cylinders.

A slight blowback is felt at the intake of both the front and rear carbs when cranking over.

At this point, I think it's either a carb issue or timing. But could it be ignition timing or even an incorrect firing order? Valves don't hit, and this issue only happens when the front cylinder tries to fire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
Is this a new to you bike, or was it running properly before? PLEASE don't use starting fluid. Use gasoline in a spray bottle. I have seen engines totally destroyed by starter fluid, including a nearly new $15,000 Yamaha outboard marine engine. 2 pistons were completely melted and the cylinders were damaged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.