Plastic Gas Tank. (Thoughts?) - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:06 PM

Ethanol is a spooky fellow. I always fill mine up with ethanol-free if I'm not going to immediately burn it off on a road trip.

As for the tank, this project seems like a lot of fun! A small production run of a greater-capacity tank is the kind of crowdsourcing project I love seeing on forums like this (if it comes to fruition, no sweats one way or the other)

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-Dash – Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will750 View Post
I have been checking for ways with my own tank already today to see where i could squeeze the extra from. I think i can get it to 18 litres which would be 4.7 gallons. Any more and it would just look to big. This is gonna be an interesting project thats for sure.
Document your progress, you can put up a web page or use it on your resume'.

4.7 gal would get me 207 miles. As it is now, I need a fuel stop to get back from the farm, and there's not much out there. They close early too.

Ethanol - I've seen rubber fuel lines 6ft long disintegrate along the entire length in about a minute, rotted from the inside out. Haven't seen modern plastic tanks fall apart.

Think I've seen whisky in plastic bottles, like 1/2 gal or so. Haven't looked in a long while.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 11-08-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: can
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

I plan on keeping this thread up to date as i go along. It sure is gonna be a fun one. The beauty of it is that once the mould is desiged and made 🤞 all the fittings like for the petcock or fuel level fitting are added afterwards. My thinking on this so far is.. petcock fittings, fuel level fitting(optional) when i say optional i mean the fittings for the screws will be there but no hole for the actual thing itself. The hole can be drilled by the person themselves if they choose to use it. Gas cap will be moulded into the tank. I was also thinking of having fittings in place for the option to add an auxillary tank if one so desiers. This would give the person the option of having an extra gallon tank stashed somewhere else on the bike. This would also have the fittings in place but need to be drilled out also. That is my thinking so far on it.
ubertalldude likes this.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I think to make it bigger the best way is to make it wider. If you change the side profile it will change the lines of the bike. Unless you are going for a Mad Max look. I carry an extra gallon in 1 qt bottles if I have any doubts about running out. My first 2 Vulcans would go on reserve at around 120 miles. But since it has tubeless tires, I don't have to lug around all the stuff you would need to repair a flat tube type tire. I have saddlebags, a T bag, a tank bag, and have room on the passenger part of the seat for another large bag, which also provides back support. I have always been "mission specific" I carry what I think I will need on a specific trip.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 08:40 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to dljsr
Keep working on it. Add a gallon or more and I would be interested. What color plastic are you planning to use?
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
MY ten cents

....... how about one with an extra gallon in it?
Absolutely!!! So..... I am not the only one caught in no-man's-land with a tank running dry!

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Odometer @ October, 2019: 14,200
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement