Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

'06 lost of power while on throttle after several minutes

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rideflorida 
#1 ·
Afternoon all
I've read many posts here trying to find the problem I'm having but cant seem to match up exactly.

2006 vn750 has been running great until a couple days ago. The bike seat for a little over a week due to weather and when I took it out on the road it was running fine.

About four minutes into the ride I was in 5th gear and while on throttle it just lost power and engine shut off. Red oil lamp came on and at first i couldn't get it started back up.

After about 5 minutes got it running again and the same thing happened few minutes later. Got the bike back to the house but not before it died a couple more times.

Not sure what the issue could be as I have made no changes to anything on the bike and it has run fine up until now. Any ideas? I've owned a vulcan 750 for 7 years and I've learned a lot about them but still a novice when it comes to mechanical issues.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ryan

See less See more
#2 ·
Did it instantly shut off as in loss of electrical power or did it stutter, and then die?

How much gas was in the tank?

#4 ·
Yep, which is why I asked "how" it died and how much gas was in the tank.

#5 ·
Poogs is a strong contender.

If you're getting a quick cut-off instead of a stumbling stop, your ignition puck may be going bad/needs to be cleaned, which could cause it to behave like you're turning the kill switch on and off randomly. That seems sort of unlikely, as a quick, intermittent "off" state at highway speeds would just cause the bike to bump-start itself back to life, and there wouldn't be a 5-minute cooldown period. I think the tachometer would hard-drop to zero during such blackouts, but not during stumbling due to POOGS.

Just for peace of mind and your future diagnostics, the oil light will come on any time the engine is not running, so that's nothing to be concerned about. If it's on when the engine is running, SHUT IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY!

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far....

To answer the questions,

The gas was a little over half full. Here is an update with more details.

The day after the above incident I filled up the tank and put some seafoam in. I rode it about 30 miles without any issues. At that time I chalked up the issues to possibly not warming the engine up enough prior to riding.

However today when I went on a short ride i let the engine warm up with the choke and then about 5 miles in I was in 5th gear cruising at about 60mph. I was maintaining my rpm and noticed the slightest stutter. I rolled on the throttle and it had good power. However when I maintained my rpm it shuttered again. Then when I let off the throttle it immediately died.

The bike would not start again for several minutes but after it did I was able to ride it home without any other issues.

The bike has good power and the only time I've noticed different is in high gear while maintaining throttle at about 4k rpm. The thing that really stumps me is that the problem is intermittent and doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks again for any ideas you may have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.