Leaking from petcock after rebuild - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSattler View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but how does a petcock assembly go bad? Isn't it just an aluminum body? I didn't find any videos that showed exactly how it was reassembled, because i took it apart before my rebuild kit arrived. The back side of the diaphragm was definitely misshapen though.
The diaphragm just wears out, or can stick with enough corn syrup in it.

Will have to go out and look at mine, but I don't think the vacuum port is pointing straight down, not sure if it makes any difference. It is pointing down in this diagram.

If it didn't leak before, I'd say it must be assembled wrong. O-ring in place and all that?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Neither my '02 and '97 have a PRIME position. It is ON OFF RESERVE. I searched several online parts places and many of the petcock internal parts are no longer available. The complete petcock (which was ridiculously expensive) is not available. Even the elongated O ring between the petcock and tank is not available. I believe the petcock from a Yamaha TW200 will fit with some slight modification. These bikes are reaching the age where parts are going to get harder and harder to find.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 AM

Prime setting is on earlier model Kawis, 1980s up to some time in early 90s, LTD, Vulcan, etc. Ebay has rebuilt kits.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

It did have a steady leak before, which is why I bought the rebuild kit. But nothing like the downpour from last night. I pushed the bike 5 blocks up hill to get it home. The o-ring that I circled - 670, I do not remember installing or seeing. The kit included a very large o-ring (51039), but I assumed that was for the o-ring at the top of the petcock, next to the tank. I did put in the diaphragm, trying both ways but seeing the nipples it will only go on one way. I had to bunch it up, and pass half of it through the circle in the plastic square. I was afraid I would rip it, but it seemed okay. I will take photos tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedpetcock_LI.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	46151  

Last edited by MSattler; 06-25-2019 at 11:33 AM.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I believe my rebuild kit included that o-ring. Mine seemed fine, so I did not swap it out... unless that o-ring was for between the diaphragm and and the housing. I watched the video on how to fix a petcock without rebuilding, and his did NOT have a gasket there (I know... different bike, but looked like an identical set up). It is sitting on my parts bench right now.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:35 AM

That video is on a Yamaha, isn't it?

If that o-ring is missing, there's the leak. Don't think my kit came with it either. If I recall, the kit was three pieces.

Think that larger o-ring goes on the back of the selector.

2003-21k mi

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
That video is on a Yamaha, isn't it?

If that o-ring is missing, there's the leak. Don't think my kit came with it either. If I recall, the kit was three pieces.

Think that larger o-ring goes on the back of the selector.
This is the video I followed. I am in my office, so I do not want to have the volume on. It is a Kawaski... intruder? My kit had a very large o-ring that looked about the size of the top of the petcock. It had 92055 behind the selector, and the diaphragm with a small o-ring on the back side. I will take a photo of it when I go home for lunch. I didn't see one when I originally pulled mine apart. In fact, my interior looked identical to this (with two ports instead of one)

Last edited by MSattler; 06-25-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:10 PM

First vid is a Yamaha Virago.

Now I'm pretty sure there was an o-ring already installed on the diaphragm piston.

At 2:07 in the vid 2, you can see the o-ring on the selector. But I think if it was missing, the selector would be real easy to turn.
MSattler likes this.

2003-21k mi

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:14 PM

Here’s a link

https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/51023-1392

Expensive, yeah a little. But I bet it won’t leak. I’d rather keep the highly flammable gas in the bike.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
First vid is a Yamaha Virago.

Now I'm pretty sure there was an o-ring already installed on the diaphragm piston.

At 2:07 in the vid 2, you can see the o-ring on the selector. But I think if it was missing, the selector would be real easy to turn.
I believe we are talking about two different o-rings. I installed the new 92055, that is behind the selector (fits in the grove on the back side) that came with the kit. It was the 607 o-ring that I do NOT have, nor did I see it when I disassembled the petcock. Unless we are talking about the same thing. The 607 looks like it is on the back side of the housing, facing the engine. Please correct me if I am wrong. I love teachable moments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement