From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

1Likes
  • 1 Post By shark88

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

05 VN750 Loss of Power

Hello All,

Well, Im a new Vulcan owner. I've only had the bike for 2 weeks and today was the first time riding it since bringing it home.

The issue is that the bike just has no power. It almost feels the same as driving a car with a clogged exhaust / cat converter. The engine runs fine, it will run and drive, but just lacks power regardless of what gear I'm in. For example, I'm riding at 40mph (could be 20, could be 50, etc).... the response to throttle input is exactly the same no matter what gear I am in. I rode for about 20min this morning with about half of that being on the freeway. The bike ran great. On the way home, just as I was exiting the freeway, I experienced this condition. It stayed like that through town back to the house.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

A little snippet about me:
I am new to cruisers but not to motorcycles. I'm crossing over from the super sport world. Started riding when I was 18, I'm 49 now. I decided to try a cruiser. The VN750 has always looked like a cool bike and figured it was a great way to enter the cruiser world due to its low cost, low maintenance, and sporty look.

A little about the bike:
The Vulcan is a 2005, has 8700 mi, and aside from a windscreen, grips, and rim tape, the bike is stock. With the exception of a couple of tiny, hard-to-see cosmetic imperfections, the bike looks brand new. It was recently serviced at a Kawasaki dealer by the private owner that I purchased it from. Multi point inspection looked good. He was the second owner that purchased it for his son, who ended up crossing over to the sport bike side. His wife rode it for about a year and just got Harley, hence my purchase of the bike.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured someone would ask about my Moto experience and about the general condition of the bike.

Thanks for any input guys n gals !

Ohk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:44 PM
NewB to Vulcans

Sounds like dirt in the carbs clogging a jet, these bikes are v sensitive to fuel cleanliness, has the bike been sitting for a while?

'99 Vulcan "Victoria"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Hi TonyO... Previous owner put about 600mi on it in the year they had it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:06 PM

Garage
Could be a float sticking. Run it and turn the gas petcock to off and see if it comes alive. If it does then you have a stuck float. If the float sticks then you're flooding one cylinder and you'll loose power.
roadpouring likes this.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohkwari View Post
If your problem presists even when your bike has cooled down, you can check if (most likely) its one of the carbs by running the bike in idle and checking if both exhausts get hot. This way you know what carb is being blocked.

Give us an update when u know more
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies, guys!

I started the bike tonight after getting home from work. After giving it about a minute and dialing back the choke, I revved the engine. About halfway back on the throttle and it just drops out. It doesn't stall and it idles smooth. If I ease the throttle back, the engine will rev up to a point but its not really consistent with the throttle input. Uggh... Tonight, I also noticed a new issue... a tap/knock noise from the forward lower right side of the motor. I just shook my head, rolled her back into the garage, and now I'm wondering if I just became the proud owner of a shiny turd. I literally have less than 50mi under my belt with this bike and now I'm afraid to even start the motor. That noise didn't sound right to me and I'm afraid to run it for fear of possible further damage (if there is any) Well...my plan of action now is to trailer the bike to the Kawasaki dealer to have this assessed.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:59 PM

Garage
Did you turn off the gas and see if it started running normal? or check the exhaust to make sure both sides are getting hot?

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:

I started the bike tonight after getting home from work. After giving it about a minute and dialing back the choke, I revved the engine. About halfway back on the throttle and it just drops out. It doesn't stall and it idles smooth. If I ease the throttle back, the engine will rev up to a point but its not really consistent with the throttle input. Uggh... Tonight, I also noticed a new issue... a tap/knock noise from the forward lower right side of the motor. I just shook my head, rolled her back into the garage, and now I'm wondering if I just became the proud owner of a shiny turd. I literally have less than 50mi under my belt with this bike and now I'm afraid to even start the motor. That noise didn't sound right to me and I'm afraid to run it for fear of possible further damage (if there is any) Well...my plan of action now is to trailer the bike to the Kawasaki dealer to have this assessed.
Did you do some repairs on your own? the knocking/tapping might be as simple as tightening the cap that covers the exhaust conection point to the engine. (its what happend to me).
As for the power loss, sounds like a dirty Carb. when was the last time you checked the air filters/air box? Most people forget to clean the airbox when cleaning carbs. Lots of dirt in there indicates dirty carb.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:00 PM

Garage
Quote:

if the previous owner only did 600 miles in a year, you might pull the carbs and clean them. when the throttle is open and it bogs down, the air/fuel mixture isn't right. Too much or too little air or fuel can make it do what you're describing. People on here seem to be hardcore believers in seafoam. you might run some in the gas tank and it could do some cleaning for you.

the petcock runs on engine vacuum, and if a float is stuck open, it'll keep pumping fuel and run super rich. try what others have said and turn off the petcock and see if the engine settles down. It'll run on the fuel in the bowls for a bit and if it seems to run ok, the carb floats are probably stuck.

Things you can check without running the bike:

1. pull spark plugs (one from the front, one from the rear to compare) and see how they look. it's easier to say "google what a good plug looks like" than it is to describe what you're looking for. It should tell you if you're rich or lean.

2. if serious flooding is what you're experiencing, check your oil to make sure it's oil and not oil mixed with gas. Running gas in the oil can cause engine damage and might be the knocking noise you were hearing.

1995 VN750
Ear Shave Mod
2-Wire Mod
Blue Wire Mod
RLU Bypass
SH847 R/R
Degoat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement