suddenly won't idle - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

suddenly won't idle

Long story short I just got back from a 400mile ride she did amazing. fresh oil and new pod filters before the ride. Two days later I start her today and go get lunch after that I get some gas and when I drive off I notice it starts to die when at a stop. So I pull the throttle to keep her alive and made it home but had to keep ripping the throttle. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:01 PM

Could be a couple of things. Maybe a stuck float valve? perhaps a clogged pilot jet in the carb? Try running a good bit of seafoam through a half tank and see if that helps. If not, you might need to tear into the carbs
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

I just took the pods off and reset the idle screw and then turned it out 3 times and it started fine I think the combination of bad gas quality and me not oiling the pod filters after 400miles might have done it I just ran seafoam into the carbs while running it well see if that helps

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

I just slapped the pods back on and it ran fine for about 5 minutes. Then it started to die out again it was at full temperature at the halfway mark but that's normal.im going to take all the gas out and try a different source maybe that's all it was? I always use 87 from Chevron but this time I used the generic stripes 87 station.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:39 PM

Largely I'd say gas is gas. Do you have any carb cleaner on hand? Get her running warm and spray some carb cleaner in where both pods are. Does the engine rev up when you do this? If it doesn't, You might have a weak spark due to crummy sparks, bad wires, or even a failing electrical system (feel free to check your battery voltage both when off and when running warm)

Are your gas lines seated properly in their spots on the carbs? I once didn't connect the lines properly and the carbs were getting starved of gas

If the electrical is good, hoses are good, and carb spray revs it up, I'd pull the carbs and do a cleaning of the carbs, jets, and floats
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

I pulled all the gas last night from the tank and bowls my local mechanic recommend trying that first since that station is know to be bad I'll buy new gas now and if that's still not a fix I'll try the carb cleaner and check the plugs and fuel lines thanks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:21 PM
NewB to Vulcans

If you think the gas is dirty then you will need to clean the carbs. These bikes are very sensitive to even tiny dirt particles.
As for "bad gas" i have run pretty much everything thru mine without problems, 85 to 97 octane (both my convertibles used premium) and whatever is nearest when the gauge shows MT

'99 Vulcan "Victoria"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I just put in some ethanol free 91 and it started up no issue then I just ran it around for 1hr in town high rpms low rpms all of it and nothing if nothing turns up the next few days I'm going to assume the gas really was bad
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

I probably got gas right after the station was filled was an idea from my local mechanic. I'm probably not going to pump that ethanol free stuff consistently I'll just stick to Chevron. Took 10$ to fill my tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-22 13_1548185592961.31.44.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	45455  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:37 PM

I always put ethanol-free in mine, but that's primarily because I leave mine sitting for a week at a time, sometimes up to 3-4 weeks if I get busy. Only time I'll put E10 in there is if I'm on a road trip and I know I'll burn most of the ethanol gas out of the tank. Just a reassurance policy to be sure my carbs won't get gummed up from lack of running.
Spockster likes this.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-Dash – Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement