Need Advice - Mechanic is telling me I need new float chamber - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Need Advice - Mechanic is telling me I need new float chamber

I have a bit of a horror story I'm hoping I can get help with.

I rode my 96 Vulcan 750 for years and only put it away after it needed yet another carb rebuild and moved to a much less bike friendly area. It sat in my garage with me firing it up a few times but leaked a bit of gas when it was running.

Fast forward to last month. I have moved again and am in the country with open roads begging to be ridden on. I found a guy selling a 2001 Vulcan 750 with only 300 miles on it. Story was a guy got caught cheating, wife divorced him and got the bike, and it sat in a garage. He supposedly had taken it all apart and cleaned everything. All the visible parts and the oil tank all looked immaculate.

Rode the bike, no problem... Bought the bike for 1500... Rode it about 45 miles and bike wont stay running. Guy I bought it from won't answer calls.

I took the bike into the local shop, along with it's twin as a parts bike. The mechanic after two tries purchased the correct float kits and proceeded to rebuild my carbs on the new bike. He stated whoever did it didn't know what they were doing and two gaskets had leaks had leaks.

Today he calls me and says that both the new bike and the parts bike have broken or cracked float chambers. From what I understand that is the piece that holds the two carbs together. He told me it was part# 16020-1051 and that he didn't want to put it back together with the cracked one as it could burst into flame.

What the heck do I do? The part is supposed to be 200 bucks but is it really likely both bikes had broken float chambers? Can it be welded or is it worth the 200 for the new part?

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 03:34 PM

I'd ask to see pictures, because that seems like a REALLY difficult part to break unless the mechanic/precious owner/previous mechanic was really manhandling and abusing the carbs to get them out of the bike.

$200 isn't TOO bad, beats getting new carbs, but if both of the float chambers are broken, that's pretty crazy coincidence (or not a coincidence at all, given both bikes are in his posession)

Just curious, what's up with the parts bike? And as a side note, the float chamber has gaskets that can be replaced, maybe he's confused with them. When I rebuilt my carbs I had to do the float chamber and jet cover gaskets, which were unfortunately pretty expensive, but necessary. Can't even imaging the float chamber being broken, that was a pretty sturdy part on an assembly that shouldn't see any real force beyond hands grabbing twisting and pulling...

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

I thought it was a mighty big coincidence too. He also just sent me a message saying I should order the part and put it all back together myself. I think he's trying to wash his hands of it and still charge me 350 for rebuilding the carbs... and hand it back to me in parts it sounds like.

The parts bike was my first daily rider and it had been down a couple of times. Dented tank, broken lights, etc etc... Once it needed a new carb cleaning again I decided it was too much work. I've done it twice already and getting those carbs off is such a pain.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:17 PM

Garage
Why don't you update your profile and let us know where you're from. Maybe someone close by could help you.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Updated! I'm in Conroe Texas if anyone has any suggestions. As of right now he is trying to wash his hands of it and hand me back the bike in parts. I could use a good, fair mechanic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement