So many hoses! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Question So many hoses!

Sorry to bother with another coaster question, but I have read all over and none of the previous posts seemed to ask the question that I have.

I ordered some coasters today for my bike. I have it marbled, but the vacuum switch valve (the double bell looking thing) is making a clanking noise, so I think I am going to just do away with the whole system. I read on another post that if you coaster, then it has no purpose. So might as well remove it.

But first...

I have a question about some of the hoses on the vacuum switch valve. The top hose goes to the front cylinder. The bottom hose goes to the rear cylinder. The small hose, which is the vacuum line goes to the carb. All of those will be removed. Coaster where the reed valves used to be and plug the place on the carb where the vacuum goes. However, the hose on the left. It goes to the surge tank. What does the surge tank do and what do I do with that hose? Just let it dangle? Plug it?

Also, please correct me if anything that I said was wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 05:09 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseFiction1 View Post
Sorry to bother with another coaster question, but I have read all over and none of the previous posts seemed to ask the question that I have.

I ordered some coasters today for my bike. I have it marbled, but the vacuum switch valve (the double bell looking thing) is making a clanking noise, so I think I am going to just do away with the whole system. I read on another post that if you coaster, then it has no purpose. So might as well remove it.

But first...

I have a question about some of the hoses on the vacuum switch valve. The top hose goes to the front cylinder. The bottom hose goes to the rear cylinder. The small hose, which is the vacuum line goes to the carb. All of those will be removed. Coaster where the reed valves used to be and plug the place on the carb where the vacuum goes. However, the hose on the left. It goes to the surge tank. What does the surge tank do and what do I do with that hose? Just let it dangle? Plug it?

Also, please correct me if anything that I said was wrong.
If you purchased your coaster set from that supplier off of ebay it will come with a rubber plug for the surge tank. So you would just use it on the hose thats attached to it. I would cut it back (closer to the surge tank) if I were you to help clean it up a bit. Hope that helps.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 05:49 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Some (maybe all, not sure) Coaster kits come with detailed instructions and the parts needed to do the job. But like Wkrizan posted it gets plugged and the should have the large rubber plug to do it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
Some (maybe all, not sure) Coaster kits come with detailed instructions and the parts needed to do the job. But like Wkrizan posted it gets plugged and the should have the large rubber plug to do it.
I just got the kit in the mail today and it didn't come with any instructions. I think I've got the gist of it though. Is everything I said in my first post correct?

It also didn't come with any rubber plug for the hose up to the surge tank. Where can I get one of those and maybe something to plug where the vacuum line goes into the carb?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
I just got the kit in the mail today and it didn't come with any instructions. I think I've got the gist of it though. Is everything I said in my first post correct?

It also didn't come with any rubber plug for the hose up to the surge tank. Where can I get one of those and maybe something to plug where the vacuum line goes into the carb?
You can pick up the rubber plug at your local hardware store and the vacuum cap at any NAPA Auto store.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:

For the surge tank, I found a bottle cap that fit in backwards into the hose. I clamped it on and that worked.
For the hose at the carb I bought some plugs at auto-zone.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

The screws that came with the kit are just as long as the screws that held the reed valves on there. So, with removing the two pieces, they are too long. I'm going to to have to leave the part with the actual reed on there and just remove the section where the hose plugs in. Is that normal?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:43 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
The screws that came with the kit are just as long as the screws that held the reed valves on there. So, with removing the two pieces, they are too long. I'm going to to have to leave the part with the actual reed on there and just remove the section where the hose plugs in. Is that normal?
I would guess that in doing it that way, all the parts will still be there, so if you need emissions inspections, there hopefully wouldn't be any questions asked.
Some places will fail a bike if they see parts of the emission system are missing.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

I was a little rough on the gaskets that seal the coasters down, so I went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up some of the cork to make gaskets myself. What do you guys think of this? Will the cork be alright with the heat? Should I get some silicone to throw in there too?

Have I told you that I would be lost without this site? No? Well, I would be lost without this sight. At least as far as motorcycle maintenance goes.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 AM
The Professor

Quote:
I was a little rough on the gaskets that seal the coasters down, so I went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up some of the cork to make gaskets myself. What do you guys think of this? Will the cork be alright with the heat? Should I get some silicone to throw in there too?

Have I told you that I would be lost without this site? No? Well, I would be lost without this sight. At least as far as motorcycle maintenance goes.
Cork will be totaly useless from the high temp, you will better off ditching the cork and sealing with a bead of Permtex Ultra Copper High Temp RTV Silicone sealant.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS