Boots? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Boots?

Found out that my carb boots are leaking. Where can I buy quality carb boots for a 1994 vn750? I saw some on eBay but didn't know about the quality. Thanks.

Jim n AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 04:57 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-n-AZ View Post
Found out that my carb boots are leaking. Where can I buy quality carb boots for a 1994 vn750? I saw some on eBay but didn't know about the quality. Thanks.

https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/o.../cylinder-head

HOLDER-CARBURETOR,FR
Item #16065-1122
$30.89
$30.89

HOLDER-CARBURETOR,RR
Item #16065-1123
$30.89

**Edit: Someone else might know a cheaper source.
Jim-n-AZ likes this.

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob

Last edited by roadpouring; 07-21-2018 at 06:02 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Well it turns out one of the boots was just loose. I tightened it up and now the boots are fine. So I have an oem set of boots on the way that will sit on the shelf. But I still have the original issue.

The motor at times will idle at 3000 or so RPM and at other times won't idle at all. It almost smells like one cylinder is not firing. I've done some reading on the Forum and have tried a couple suggestions.

In searching for vacuum leaks I sprayed some starter fluid on top of the front cylinder (under the tank) and it kills the motor immediately. Did it twice. Is that normal? Don't want to take the tank off if I don't have to.

Jim n AZ

Last edited by Jim-n-AZ; 07-24-2018 at 08:21 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:02 PM

Removing the tank is about the easiest thing you can do on this bike, so don't let it worry you if you have to do it. Have you cleaned the carbs since buying? I'm no expert, but it could be a stuck float valve? Were you idling normally before this issue, or has it idled this high since purchasing the bike? When I bought mine, it idled really high, but I think the previous owner turned the idle screw way up to keep it from stalling at lights (it needed some work). So perhaps that is due to the idle screw.

I'd clean the carbs and give the bike a test after that. If it solves the dying problem but still idles high, try the idle screw
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Pulled the tank and found this line circled in green. I cannot see any place to hook it up. The other end goes to a Tee between the carbs. I did some reading and it sounds like there should be a vacuum line to the right ear, but this is on the left side. The petcock did have 3 lines connected. Also, this is on the area where I would spray starter fluid and the motor would instantly die...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180724_193919.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	45031  

Jim n AZ
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:32 PM

That looks like it would have gone on the back of your air filter unit. I guess you have pods on your carb?

2000 VN750
Digital voltmeter
Lubed spline (5k)
New tires (5k)
Pick up coils to .20mm
K&N air&oil filters
Relocate R&R
2 wire mod
Iridium plugs (7.2k)
Change oil and filter (8.6k)
Removal of the CA emissions (7.3k)
Cap Reed valves off the engine (7.3k)
Redesign stock seat (8k)
Change Engine Ice (8k)
Install KLR650 bars (8.3k)
Change final drive oil (8.3k)
Install power source & phone mount (8.5k)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-n-AZ View Post
Pulled the tank and found this line circled in green. I cannot see any place to hook it up. The other end goes to a Tee between the carbs. I did some reading and it sounds like there should be a vacuum line to the right ear, but this is on the left side. The petcock did have 3 lines connected. Also, this is on the area where I would spray starter fluid and the motor would instantly die...
Is this the crankcase hose?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob112o View Post
That looks like it would have gone on the back of your air filter unit. I guess you have pods on your carb?
Yes I have the pods (or ears). And yeah, I'm guessing that's where it goes. Everything I read said it should go to the right side air filter, so I was hoping that was my problem... I've sprayed starter fluid everywhere, and after tightening the rear boot, nothing else made a difference. After pulling the tank, I saw that where I was spraying between the front carb and tank that was killing the motor, was probably just a fluid induced short. So I'm back to square one...

Engine fluctuates between idling at high rpms for a few minutes then trying to die unless I open the throttle... It smells and feels like one of the cylinders is cutting in and out.

Not that I'm an emoji guy, but this one expresses my feelings...

Jim n AZ
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:53 AM
2014 KLR 650!

I highly recommend the tw200 petcock mod. Takes another element out of the fuel to combustion equation.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

It's getting fuel. When it starts the spuddering and not idling, i smell gas big time, unburnt fuel... If there's nothing I need to check with th tank off, I'll put it back on, start the bike up, wait for the spudder, and pull one plug at a time. All the plug wires are connected...

Jim n AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement