bike dies if coke is all the way on - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

3Likes
  • 1 Post By kc2dgq
  • 1 Post By ubertalldude
  • 1 Post By Knifemaker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

bike dies if coke is all the way on

So I got new pod filters and while installing I decided to give it a start see how the pods ran old ones were pretty old. While it was running I decided to pull the choke on all the way and when I did that the bike died. It started right back up and rpms got up with half coke but then full coke killed it again. I had never tried full coke till now is this a huge problem it starts with or without choke depending on its temp and runs fine with or without choke on. Just curious since I never actually use full choke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Garage
don't use coke....try Pepsi...lol

Seriously though...it sounds like you are a bit rich if the choke kills it when cold.
if you just did the ear shave, Usually you need to change the carb settings depending on your location/altitude.

If you went from the stock filters to a different type, then the ones you have now may be more restrictive...causing it to be rich.
Thorn likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

on mine, with pods (ear shave, stock exhaust), if it was running (hot or cold) and I pulled full choke it would die too. I would have to rev it up and release throttle, and as rpm dropped, pull choke on. it would run fine then, at a higher rpm of course.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Phone hates choke and preferably types coke lol.
Previous owner did ear shave he said it ran rich to run right. It had ****ty mesh filters covered in rust so I just swapped them with foam uni filters. If its normal then ill leave it. I sprayed some seafoam in the carbs while running and put 2oz in the tank I figured carbs might be dirty idk if thats the preferred way of doing it for this bike.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Ran water through both to see how bad they are. The one on the left didnt let water flow from in to outer just started to over fill. First ride and the bike didnt lug at low rpm less pop in the exhaust too. Which I might get an exhaust all it has now is the goat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-10 20_1526000839677.06.47.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	44162  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 07:58 AM

Yes, completely normal. Choke on like 3/4-4/4 when the bike is ice cold, start it and then slowly turn the choke down as the revs rise to keep the engine speed around 1200-2000 rpm, then after a minute or so of idling I'll turn the choke all the way off. If it idles around 1000 with no choke (still warming up) then I leave it off and don't turn it back on again until the bike is cold.

Sounds like those filters were garbage, and if they restricted flow really badly then they could have been acting as a classic style choke mechanism by starving the carbs for air, therefore making the mixture rich. Let us know if it acts like that cold with the Uni's. Those Uni PK92's are pretty good, had 'em on mine for over a year now and have been pretty happy. Keep 'em oiled and even in torrential downpours I've never experienced bogging or anything.
Spockster likes this.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-Dash – Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Diesel Tech

Full choke kills mine as well. I never use more than 1/2 when stone cold and zero after a minute of idle.

1989 VN750
Highway blaster

2006 Honda Rebel Diesel
100mpg, low and slow

1982 Mercedes 300D
Modified engine, 4-speed manual
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Related question should the slides in both carbs rise when the throttle it pulled. The one that had the clogged pod doesnt rise its just open its the one on the left the right side carb opens and clicks fine. Not sure if that second one is jammed due to that bad pod or if its activated at high rpms or something. The bike pulls fine and everything.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stVulcan750 View Post
Related question should the slides in both carbs rise when the throttle it pulled. The one that had the clogged pod doesnt rise its just open its the one on the left the right side carb opens and clicks fine. Not sure if that second one is jammed due to that bad pod or if its activated at high rpms or something. The bike pulls fine and everything.
High vacuum with the clogged filter might have damaged the diaphragm or pulled it out of shape.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Old Fart

Garage
"Doctor Doctor ! Every time I do this it hurts (patient bends arm in odd angle)
What can I do?"

Doctor..."Don't do that..."

-- Henny Youngman

If your choke kills the bike if you push it all the way on....

Just don't do that.
WilliamTech3 likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement