POOGS or Normal? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
POOGS or Normal?

I was riding the other day and as the needle crossed what I assumed to be the 1/4 mark and it started to stall. I switched over to reserve, but it still stalled. I was unfamiliar with the POOGS at the time, so I did not try opening the gas cap. It took many attempts to restart, and I was worried I was going to drain the battery. It eventually started up, so I rode to the nearest station (< 3 miles way) on reserve.

My question is, was this POOGS, or was I just overly optimistic with the fuel gauge?

'89 Vulcan 750 Bought 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800
Purchased stock. Wrecked once
22490.0+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB
110/90 Front Tire
Pick-up coil re-gapped to .020"
Compufire 55402 r/r series regulator
USB Outlet + Voltmeter
Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages
Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG
MCCT conversion

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals
Windshield
Highway Pegs
(Possible) ignition advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:51 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The fuel gauge is a bit useless. I've seen bikes that hit reserve at the 1/4 mark, and some that don't. Generally POOGS seems to strike at the 1/2 way mark, but can vary. Your usually better off just getting an idea on how far you can go before you need reserve and hitting a gas station before that. (And noting where the gauge is then)

The needle doesn't move linearly...it's like you can burn up a gallon and it doesn't move, then it falls in some weird bell curve.
On mine I took a tiny piece of tape and marked the gauge where reserve would kick in, and left the bike in the "reserve" position all the time. I'd stop for gas when it got to the tape.

That said, it could have been POOGS. There's a good sticky here on how to clean out the gas cap vent, which is believed to be the cause.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 06:27 PM

Garage
It may very well be POOGS, but if it's a mis-aligned fuel meter, switching to reserve should have gotten you back up and running almost immediately. If your carb bowls were completely dry when you switched to reserve, it might take two handfuls of seconds for the bowls to refill, but it should be fairly quick.

I like Knifemaker's idea to ride until you physically hit the reserve limit. That'll give you a solid reference point. Maybe do the experiment with a full gas can strapped to the back seat in case there's some screwy fluke and your reserve doesn't work or something.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement