Good single carb conversion option? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb Good single carb conversion option?

I have searched and found some single carb conversions that seem to work, but just curious if anyone has done it successfully and it look good too. I have 2 Vulcans, a 700 and a 750 and I also have a 750 parts bike. I'm asking this because one of the carbs has a broken center plate and looks like someone took a hammer to it, another has parts epoxy'd onto it AND on top of all of that, the only place I can find parts is straight from Kawasaki and they are super high! So if there were a replacement carb that was available, and it was a single carb that would be easier to work on, easier to get on and off, and have a better parts availability, that just sounds like a no brainer to me.

I did read a couple of threads and people seemed concerned on intake runner length differences but I don't see where that is a real concern because the intake strokes are not at the same time between the 2 cylinders. I know I'm probably a day late and a dollar short on this idea, just trying to glean what info I can. Thanks in advance.

- 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Ear shaved
Mufflers removed / 38/140 + 2 shims
Relay coil mod
Pick-up coil mod
Emissions removed
Lowered rear
Rear blinkers located in tail light housing
Petcock gutted

- Wife's: 2018 Can-am Spyder F3 Limited Pearl White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:06 PM

Garage
There's a thread on here somewhere from a couple years back that someone did it. Don't remember if there was a lot of info on what carb he used, but he had to fab the manifold. Good luck.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

there are also carbs available on ebay

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 PM
Alpha Geek

Mikuni VM series constant velocity slide carb, IIRC VM38 is what they use on Ironheads when they toss the slideless butterfly carbs.

Fab your mani using PVC elbows. Much easier to trim. Once you're done, fuse the pieces well, paint, or use that as a template for copper tubing or something. Works just fine either way. Someone has done steel before, but that's a lot more work, special tools, and special skills. Solder & copper doesn't.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 11:56 PM
Diesel Tech

I would go with EFI if you're going to that much work.
400cc to 800cc Small Engine Fuel Injection Kit

1989 VN750
Highway blaster

2006 Honda Rebel Diesel
100mpg, low and slow

1982 Mercedes 300D
Modified engine, 4-speed manual
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:37 AM
Alpha Geek

"Only" $710 more than the Mikuni. And more work.
lugnut1009 likes this.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep searching and collecting info. Yesterday I pulled the carbs off of my parts bike and they look really good so maybe I will be ok, but this will still be a good option to keep in mind later on. Of course if the carbs on my VN700 don't work out I may end up going this route on mine. I plan to go for more of a bobber / rat rod style look anyway, and copper pipe and a single carb would just help it out.

Thanks again for the info!! I need to start taking pictures and document my progress in the builds portion...

Ear shaved
Relay coil mod
Pick-up coil mod
Emissions removed
Lowered rear
Petcock gutted

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:30 AM

Location: Southern Maryland, Waldorf/LaPlata/Indian Head area

Search," VN750 single carb". I think You'll get the info there.

1985 700 Vulcan / Purchased 13,636 miles currently 19,126/Fork Seals & Dust Covers/Ignition Switch/AGM Battery/Hell Fire Windshield/River Roads Saddle Bags/Coil Relay Mod/2Wire Mod/RLU Bypass/Head Light Switch/Voltage monitor Green light/Mosfit R&R/Tuxedo Mod/Stator/Point Gap .020/ Dampers/Rear Signal & Brake Light LED'S/Rebuilt Shutoff Valve/Final Drive Gear Oil/Brake Shoes/Spline & Hub Lube/11 inch Progressive Shocks/De Goated/Engine Guard/Rejetted For K/N Pods/TOC mcct's
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkys73150 View Post
Search," VN750 single carb". I think You'll get the info there.
I did, can't find much useful information. Most threads had ideas or even a picture or two but nothing that said how well it worked or how it did over time... Most of those members have been inactive for years too. Just wanted to know if anybody has seen one that lasted and looked decent. I don't mind fabbing up the intake, and will probably buy one when the time comes and OEM part prices greatly exceed a new Mikuni carb, if not already...

Ear shaved
Relay coil mod
Pick-up coil mod
Emissions removed
Lowered rear
Petcock gutted

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:19 PM

saw a youtube video of a guy who said the rear cylinder runs too rich with the single-carb setup he built, and would run OK for a while but eventually foul the plugs really badly. That explains why the slide needles are different from the front and rear carbs...

It seems like there's no one procedure out there, and there will have to be extensive custom fabrication and test fitting, then a lot of re-jetting/resetting the needle height, etc. on the single carb to get it to run right. Unfortunately, doesn't seem like anybody here currently has that setup, and even if they did, we can't even figure out whether or not you should re-jet with an earshave or not, much less figure what jets would go in a single-carb custom setup.

You'll have to go boldly forward with some custom fabrication and carb tuning experimentation, or just buy used carbs off ebay.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-Dash – Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement