Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Volt meter connection?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Cheman 
#1 ·
I have installed a volt meter that I need to connect to an ignition wire so it is not on all the time. I used the plugs in the headlight for the + and - but the third wire goes to an ignition wire (so it is on only when the ignition is on). Can one of you electrical geniuses tell me which wire to connect to in the headlight? :smiley_th

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The marker lights from the front blinkers run into the headlight bucket. You can tap into those. you can also use the back lighting for the dash.

marker lights and dash lights should be R/BL

#4 ·
#5 ·
Super easy to trace that running light wire inside bucket! You can also install an on-off switch to the meter. I chose to go that route simply because I felt no need to it being on all the time while riding,plus just sitting in garage I can ck batt stat without the key being turned on. Just another idea!

#7 ·
I'm in Santa Rosa, CA (wine country - 50 miles n. of SF). I lived in Richardson, TX at one time. Dallas, Waco, Austin, Houston, Longview, Tyler, Galveston, etc. too.

Gregg

#8 ·
I have that same meter on my VTX1300. I have it wired to always be on. The draw is so small, your bike would have to sit for weeks and weeks to drain the battery. I can walk past the bike and check the voltage, temp, time.
Of course my VTX has not shown any sign of a charging problem(knock wood:smiley_th)
Che

#9 ·
Just thought a bit more about this. Its been a while since I installed it, but the wire you are talking about is probably just for the backlight on the meter. Don't really remember.
But mine is on all the time but the backlight is only on when the bike is on, so that would make sense..
Che (with the foggy brain)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.