Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

engine guard lineup problems

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  WilliamTech 
#1 ·
OK.. follow my problem..
I have the f/s engine guard.. I did the pickup coil mod but to loosen those screws, i had to drop the footboard where the guard bolts on the left side. After i was done, I could not get it to line back up. In trying to loosen the right side to give me some play, you have to take out the right pipe. I believe on of my studs is coming loose..Now i'm stuck, i cant get it to line back up and cant get any slack on the guard. Its almost in line so i am using a smaller diameter bolt that will go through what clearance there is. Is this the best i can do or is there another way to get the guard to line up better

#2 ·
When I did the engine pull on my bike for the stator it took as bout as long as the engine pull just to get the guard back on. Didn't line up for nothing, you'd swore it didn't just come off of there. Had to get some pry bars and a extra set of hands just to get that thing lined the extra half inch it wanted to get the bolts back in.

#3 ·
When I did the engine pull on my bike for the stator it took as bout as long as the engine pull just to get the guard back on.

That's funny you say that, the same thing happened to me. It literally took as long to get the guard on for me as it did to get the damn engine back in the frame! I actually was never able to get it in correctly. I left one of the bolts out of one of the brackets on the guard. The one on the right side that is supposed to go into the top sub-frame mount.

#4 ·
I had a heck of a time getting mine lined up too....leave ALL the bolts loose including the bracket on the right side and shove it into place before tightening everything up.

Be patient...it will eventually go in.

#8 ·
....leave ALL the bolts loose including the bracket on the right side and shove it into place before tightening everything up.

Be patient...it will eventually go in.
x2 :smiley_th

#7 ·
my f/s crash bar was a real pain, put it on/took it off/put it on/took it off but i was patient and eventually i did get it with only a few bad words. no bfh thank gawd. i ended up pulling the fore head pipe out a few inches, putting the right upper mount (the loose one, the only one that comes off) on the frame FIRST, putting the head pipe back in, getting all of the other bolts in finger tight, then the upper right bolt into the crash bar last. then tightened them all, of course. like i said, it was a real pain, mostly because they are down so low. good luck!

#10 ·
I am gathering hardware for, and will have to make a mounting bracket for the right side of my newly aquired F&S engine guard (thanks kc2dgq). I should get the part Monday afternoon.

Does anyone have a bracket they can measure, hole center to hole center?

~~C8>

#11 · (Edited)
I am gathering hardware for, and will have to make a mounting bracket for the right side of my newly aquired F&S engine guard (thanks kc2dgq). I should get the part Monday afternoon.

Does anyone have a bracket they can measure, hole center to hole center?

~~C8>
4" x 1" Bracket of 1/4" Steel ... 3/8" Holes are exactly 3" apart.

My acquired Instruction Sheet (not sure if it is for an F&S Guard) states:
Needed:
2 each, 10-1.25 x 25 mm Bolts
1 each, 10-1.25 x 35 mm Bolts
4 each, 7/16 x 3/4 x 1/4" Spacers

hope this helps

:smiley_th

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.