Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Clutch will not disengage

5K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  94vn75 
#1 ·
OK I was given an 1986 VN750 a little more than a week ago. It was partly tore down. So I took the time and got everything put back together so I could asses the bike. I know the PO had a problem with it not starting when you used the starter but the bike would push start and run fine I have some ideas on this. He also said it would not charge ( I found some burnt wires going to the r/r) so I figure that is the charging problem. But what I cant figure out is the clutch will not disengage. I have adjusted the clutch way out so it should let go as soon as you touch the lever but it does very little. The clutch lever is moving but not much is happening.

Does anyone have any Ideas? I really like this bike and would like to get it on the road soon. Any info on any of the problems would be great. I like all the info and options I can get.

Thanks for the help!

#4 ·
#10 ·
i have a 1994 vulcan750. and what my problem is when its cold the clutch will disengage fine but when it worms up it does not want to disengage. exp. stopped in first gear with the clutch disengaged it wants to keep pulling

any suggestions will help a lot thanks
Is the clutch cable adjusted properly?

#11 · (Edited)
94 vn750

well i adjusted the cable found out same resaults. what i found out today is that when the bike is worm and above 2000 rpms it goes in and outta gear no prob. but under 2000 it wants to drag.... but i will check the plates soon as possible... and do you have to diconect the cable in order to take the clutch apart to check the rings?.... thank you guys very much

#12 ·
well i adjusted the cable found out same results. what i found out today is that when the bike is worm and above 2000 rpms it goes in and outta gear no prob. but under 2000 it wants to drag.... but i will check the plates soon as possible... and do you have to disconnect the cable in order to take the clutch apart to check the rings?.... thank you guys very much
No The plates are on the other side. You do not have to touch the cable. The is a video on rebuilding the entire engine on the link above. It shows how to take it apart, measure and clean everything up, then how to put it back together.

:beerchug:This site is amazing, use it to its fullest.:beerchug:

#15 ·
A lot of people have the best success with Castrol GTX 10w40. Sometimes the advanced oils cause problems due to our bikes having a wet clutch. 'Energy conserving' is a term you want to avoid.

#16 · (Edited)
will that cause the clutch to not disengage. because mine as of now will disengage just fine cold but when it worms up it will walk while the clutch is disengaged. will going from standered to synthetic back to standered oil hurt the engine or clutch plates?

this site is very helpful and thanks to all helping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.