Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

to shave or not to shave that is the question

928 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ndr 
#1 ·
i just bought this 86 vulcan 750 and it has no air filters.
the question is what would be cheaper buying new filters or just getting the stuff to shave the ears?
any pricing info would be grand :beerchug:

#2 ·
When I bought my bike I had the same issue.. I purchased the filters an then a few months later did the shave.

The thing with the shave is that you can sell your "ears" if they are in good shape and make some of your money back.

For the shave you need to by some new Jets and Shimms $30.00 bucks or so.. Coasters.. $30.00 bucks or so... and a new K&N filter.. I did a K&N under the tank filter for about $25.00..

Quick pricing and my quick thoughts because I gotta run.

Ill elaborate more tomorrow if noone else has chimed in.

Good Luck!

#3 · (Edited)
do you have to make and carb adjustments after the shave?
and does anyone have a spare float assembly or a good set of carbs for sell?
and how bad would it be on the bike to ride without filters for a bit i"m not planning to but the guy before me said he never bothered to see if it even had filters on it and he had it a year

#4 ·
how bad would it be on the bike to ride without filters for a bit
I would say don't do it. You run the risk of getting large amounts of dirt/grit into your engine which has a fairly high possibility of causing undo damage. I personally wouldn't even attempt to try starting the bike without having filters in place.

to do the ear shave you will need to remove the carbs from the engine to put in the new jets and shims. The air/fuel screw will need to be adjusted.

For the full details/procedure of the ear shave and needed parts see this thread:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18397&highlight=ear+shave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.