Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1992 charging problem

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  TheEDGE 
#1 ·
Hi everybody...I'm buster and moved here because sfair on the "vulcan forums" said he thought you guys could help since this is what my bike is (750)...

Had the r/r replaced then did it myself second time and THEN took it to shop...
They said it was likley the same thing again....told them i just replaced it and that i had a wiring harness to put on but no time...should have done it myself...they replaced the reg/rec then said it was STILL heating up (r/r) and told me it was likely a short somewhere..took them the wiring harness (used) and they took over a month and a half ($475 Reg/harness/labor)to fix it...rode ok coming home though different -seemed to have less "get up N
Go" but it seemed smoother and able to wind out more between gears (wierd i know).
So since bringing it home this is first day out...missing as before and i noticed that the "GROUND wire" coming off the reg/rec and bullet to a battery cable and grounded to frame getting VERY hot...to hot to hold in hand...tried grounding to bATTERY AND THAT DID NOT HELP...IROICALLY THE OLD WIREHARNESS HAD A BURNED OUT SLOT WHERE THAT GROUND WIRE GOES INTO THE R/R....stange days indeed !!!
any help is greatly apreciated...
buster

See less See more
#5 ·
#7 ·
Did you run through the basics like cleaning and verifying all ground connections, etc?

230 for a harness.. ouch!

#8 ·
Take note that according to the manual, replacement of our wire harness requires a full engine pull.. Check AC volts between stator terminals (mark wires A, B, C,; check A-B; A-C; B-C; should read between 50-70ACv @ 3-4k rpms). If stator is good, trace all charging wires for bad connections (rust/corrosion). Make sure to check batt. ground to frame. Bad corroded connections causes the wires to overheat, crack, brittle, splice. Ride safe.

#10 ·
Yes have been through the basics and found nothing out of the ordinary. Pulled all wires and they looked good no problems. Pluged it all back in and worked fine for a week then hit a pot hole the other day bwith a leaky fork. Then all went to total hell on me checked wires and stator again all shows the same. I did replace the r/r the first time because the stator had been replaces in 2008 but not ther r/r.

I hate electrical work and if doing the wire harness would save me some trouble in the ling run then I don't mind doing it but was hoping to wait.

I'm trying to ride it while I stock up parts so I can customize it saving for the rake kit right now.

Anyways ranting to mutch now any help is aprishiated thanks again

Ride safe

#11 ·
really appreciate all the good feed back....Guess i should check the stator myself and then if it's good go through all the wiring in search of anything out of wack and hopefully i can get this thing up and running...I planned to sell it to get my 1100 virago but i just could not part with it after getting the other bike...so now i have 2 in case one needs worked on but right now BOTH are having problems...
will post back when and if i find the problem on the vulcan...
thanks again
keep the rubber on the road..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.