Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Fuel selector output pipes came out

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  thtanner 
#1 ·
I was installing fuel filters and the swivel output pipes to the fuel hose came out. I pushed them back in but I was surprised that they just pull right now. Is there something wrong with mine? Are they suppose to pull out like that??

-Robert

#2 ·
They are pressed in, just like the fittings on the carbs. Mine came loose also. I just put a dab of gas proof gasket silicone about halfway up the shaft, reinstalled, then using a pair of channel locks on both at same time, squeezed back together at desired angle. Note : every time you pivot them, they will loosen again.

#3 ·
Well, I just shoved them back in. After a full runup (was refilling coolant after some work) I don't see any leaking. I tend to keep all the fuel stuff pretty tight (clamps on the lines, etc) but in truth the fuel pressure delivered on these bikes is really low. Perhaps that's why its not leaking.

-Robert

#4 ·
Yeah, its just gravity, with vacuum just being a shutoff. Lines are a small I.D. too. You can do what I did though, and add Harley Hi-flow carb fittings, larger ID lines, and I drilled out my petcock passages a bit, but plan on getting a Hi-flow petcock eventually (also eliminating the vacuum thing). Theres a thread here on the board somewhere about the hi-flow brass fittings.

#6 ·
Yeah, its just gravity, with vacuum just being a shutoff. Lines are a small I.D. too. You can do what I did though, and add Harley Hi-flow carb fittings, larger ID lines, and I drilled out my petcock passages a bit, but plan on getting a Hi-flow petcock eventually (also eliminating the vacuum thing). Theres a thread here on the board somewhere about the hi-flow brass fittings.
I think this is thread Wolfie is talking about:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19832

#5 ·
I'm not too into modifying. Just want to reach reliability at this point. I'm pretty close now. I think the after market fuel filters will finally put all the issues behind me I've had with the gummy old fuel that was floating around in the system. Overhauled the carb's twice and they seem to be doing well too. I even had slimb balls in the petock when I overhauled it. Previous owner let the bike sit with California gas in it.

-Robert

#8 ·
I just shoved the pipes back in. They went in snug but I agree that wiggling them around makes them lose. I was installing new after-market filters in the line so I was doing a lot of wiggling at the time. I don't expect they move much while riding. I did take a ride down to the gas station and didn't get any leaks. Fingers crossed since I just rebuilt this petcock and fixed the broken reserve pickup tube. I've got some time/money invested into it.

-Robert

#9 · (Edited)
They are not supposed to swivel. One of mine came off and I just tapped it back in with a small brass hammer. You can rig up a mini-press with a small C clamp too.

And they are not called fuel selectors BTW... The are "petcocks"... Leaving joke out here..

But:

"Fuel pressure" that was funny...lol...sorry...;)

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.