Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

600.00 Running/driveableVulcan in New Jersey

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  cegodsey 
#1 ·
#3 ·
It must have been layed down pretty hard to mash the center stand that deep into the exhaust. I wouldn't want anyone that doesn't have a 750 already to buy that! The tank and fenders have been repainted, the ears no longer have any chrome, don't know what's up with the trunk, the front turn signals have been ripped off, the back ones are taped on. AND the fact that it was given a bath just prior to the pictures being taken - and it still looks kinda crappy...maybe a parts bike?

#5 ·
if it runs good then the rest is cosmetic, what do you want for 600? mint condition lol it is close to his price range, and I don't think he's gonna get in too much riding this time of year in Buffulo........remember his pictures??so he would have plenty of time to pretty it up. If its mechanically sound then go for it...paint and chrome is only an illusion, for the rest theres ebay.
Hey theres alway Cindy she wanted a project bike.

#6 ·
cegodsey said:
It must have been layed down pretty hard to mash the center stand that deep into the exhaust. I wouldn't want anyone that doesn't have a 750 already to buy that! The tank and fenders have been repainted, the ears no longer have any chrome, don't know what's up with the trunk, the front turn signals have been ripped off, the back ones are taped on. AND the fact that it was given a bath just prior to the pictures being taken - and it still looks kinda crappy...maybe a parts bike?
For $600 you expect a lot! The trunk looks like it lost its lock. I can't see damage to the exhaust, the heat shield maybe. But for $600, and throw in a $1-200 to chrome it up (ears, turn signals, heat shield) provided it does run well and the electronics check out, it's a good deal.
I'm pretty convinced that the 86s are some of the strongest running bikes out there. I have enough 86 parts on mine to back it up *L*

#7 ·
I know what you are saying Dianna, but here's the problem I see with it: It wasn't taken care of. If the outside of the bike is in that condition, you have to wonder about the inside of the bike. It could be that the current owner took it in and replaced the stator and re-greased the splines. I just wouldn't want a newbie to our site to think that we endorse buying a motorcycle that had little or no maintenance done to it. If the owner was a member, then I wouldn't be as afraid. It is a bike that Cindy needs to buy. I just don't think someone that doesn't have one already or know about the flaws should buy a vulcan 750 that looks like it hasn't been cared for. And you're right, the 86's have good parts and were built by people that payed attention to detail. But at 24K miles, and the way it was treated, I'd be a little concerned about just how good the insides are.

But then, it's possible that it's just a rough gem. Personally, I'd wouldn't take the gamble if it was my first. I would take the gamble now, however, if I had the funds and it was closer to me. The tires look fairly new.

#8 ·
Well, it did sell.
Did ya's notice, again, the black wheels on a 750?
Though it could be that they were painted along with the air cleaners & instrument rings.
It doesn't look like it has too much rust on it and I can't see any noticeable dents.
But I can't figure out how the tool box is rigged up. There's no sign of the lock hole, and it kinda looks like an added on cover covering the door of it with a strap maybe to secure between the seat & bar?

And it does have front signals, relocated to the handle bars, as well as aftermarket mirrors and grips. So, someone did work on it to make it look different, so quite possible they made sure it ran well too.
We may never know. Just gotta keep an eye out for a new, ebay acquired Vulcan owner. :motorcycl

#10 · (Edited)
Well, I don't think the turn signals were aftermarket, I think they were moved there out of necessity. Gotta have 'em to pass state licensing. Air cleaners weren't painted. Zoom the pic. Some of the chrome is still on there, the rest flaked off. If you look at the back left pic, you can see how the centerstand is bent way up against the exhaust. Again, zooming is a must do.

Oh, the front ones are aftermarket. I guess they didn't fare well after the wreck that ripped them off. If you look at the right front part of the tank, you can see the dent where the turn signal hit when the bike went down.

#13 · (Edited)
cegodsey said:
Air cleaners weren't painted. Zoom the pic. Some of the chrome is still on there, the rest flaked off.
Looks more like the black paint peeled off the chrome

If you look at the back left pic, you can see how the centerstand is bent way up against the exhaust.
OK, now I see that. Don't the stock pipes have a indentation there for the center stand?

For $600, it still doesn't look too bad.
I'd want to have heard it and drove it first though.

#14 ·
I'm just saying the chrome peeled off because way back in June or July someone had pics of their bike and the chrome had peeled off. I know that's only one bike to use as a comparison, but it makes more sense to me that it would peel rather than have someone paint the ears black.

As to the indentation for the centerstand - it's there, but not THAT much.

I hadn't really noticed the black wheels before. I bet this is a combination of two bikes. Like InsuredDisaster's. Heck, this might be the other bike!

For us the price doesn't sound too bad. You've got some good tires, some good parts, maybe even a good (yet rough looking) bike. Like I said, I'd probably buy it. But I wouldn't wish it on someone new to the Vulcan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.