Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Diff oil leak

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Kelly2001 
#1 ·
Got a purty good leak in my differential.. Kawasaki dealer says 1-1/2 hrs labor and $60 worth of seals and O-rings... After searchin old threads this dont begin to compare price-wise with what ive read... Abit worried bout gettin hosed at dealer with 3-6 hrs of labor... Was wonderin if theres any kind of oil/seal treatment available????....

#2 ·
I don`t know of any. BTW a differential splits the power between two wheels.
A motorcycle has a final drive to one wheel. :)

The Clymer manual says there are "special tools" needed to service the final drive.
To judge if the Kaw dealer gave you an accurate estimate, get quotes from 2 or 3 service shops, including any independants who may be near you.

#4 ·
No, there are no additives that would work. If it is the large seal in the wheel hub, the most difficult part of changing that seal is to remove the rear wheel. If you do it yourself, be sure to lubricate the seal with moly grease before you install it. I watched a technician R&R my seal in under 30 seconds with a warranty repair. After the wheel was removed,of course, there was no pit crew involved.

The dealer is quoting you a complete overhaul of all of the seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.