Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Walmart-- Super Tech Filters.

10K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  Striker1 
#1 ·
Went to local Walmart to get a ST-7317 oil filter. Not one Super Tech filter on the shelf. Every filter was Fram. Went to 2 other Walmarts. Same thing. Their website doesn't list Super Tech filters anymore.

#2 · (Edited)
Try to get the Bosch 3323 Distance Plus(blue) oil filter. It is sold in Walmart. The only oil filter I am going to use on my bike. Check online at the reviews and the specs for this filter. DO NOT GET THE FRAM!! The Bosch was around 12 bucks.
As far as oil goes I am using Rotella T 15w 40.

#3 ·
That sucks. SuperTech is my backup filter of choice- made by Champion who makes Mobil 1 filters, except there is less filter media inside.

Go get a Purolator Pure One for a Mazda MX-6-- it is longer than the stock filter, and as everyone knows, longer is better. Pep Boys carrys them, if you have those around where you are.

#4 ·
oh crap! just did a search and you are correct!
only Super Tech item showing is some fuel injector cleaner.

Did a quick internet search and no mention of discontinued name online.

I am going to my local Walmart tomorrow and buying up the rest of the filters they have...lol

#5 · (Edited)
The Bosch 3323 is also longer then the stock filter. I think the Bosch distance(blue) filters 99.9% and holds 3 times more dirt. Just check them out before you buy the Super Tech.

#6 · (Edited)
#8 ·
#11 ·
I've always used Walmart's ST-3593a. It's a direct cross reference to the Mobil M1-104. I haven't had any problem finding it on one store but another local one doesn't carry it.

#12 ·
The SuperTech filters are very good for the price, and I have used them. But I also recommend Emgo, which can be found at places like Cycle Gear, and any online place, like denniskirk.com, and motorcyclesuperstore.com. I have used them for 30 years, and never had a single problem. Not sure who makes them, but it is NOT Fram. You can also get decent cheap filters under the Parts Unlimited brand, which I believe are made by the same place that makes Emgo.

#15 ·
I have been running emgo for years too in my atv's and lately on the Classic I pick them up at the Honda Shop for cheap when I buy my oil .Parts Unlimited is to motorcycles,what NAPA is to cars ,and I have found their parts to be good quality also.

#17 ·
When i do my next oil change, I am either going with the Mobil 1 m1-110, or the Purolator

#19 ·
Yea, me too, Went to 2 diff Wallyworlds, no filters but still have ST oil! BUMMER

#20 ·
I just got back from my local Walmart...not one super tech filter in the place! They do have Purolator filters for about $12 though.

I figured I would ask the guy working there why they pulled the store brand and he didn't have a clue.

I went over to the Optronics lamps I had my eye on...and they were all gone now too :wow:

Oh well...time to re-think my driving lights plan...:doh:

#21 ·
Wlamart, like many other big box stores, is constantly changing suppliers, getting the best prices they can. Many things are made especially for Walmart, some under name brands. I know for a fact that the Gumout carb cleaner you get at Walmart is not as good as the exact same thing for a higher price at another store. I have used enough carb cleaner during my life to be able to tell the difference. Walmart Gumout is comparable to Walmart SuperTech carb cleaner, which is even cheaper, and may very well be made by Gumout.

Home Depot and Lowes are the same way. I used to be a fan of Home Depot Husky tools, and Lowes Kobalt tools for the semi professional or do it yourselfer, or to carry around on your bike instead of the crappy oem tool kit. However, I no longer recommend them. In an effort to improve their bottom line (profit) both Home Depot and Lowes switched from American manufacturers to Chinese manufacturers for their tools, still sold under the same name. Lowes has added a super low quality of Chinese tools called Task Force, which are no better than the junk that comes with the bike.

So far my local Walmarts have a pretty good selection of ST filters, but I don't know if any of them fit motorcycles. They have them that fit my Fairlane and Pinto, as well as my '93 S10. In fact, though a decade apart, and 2 completely different engines, the Fairlane and Pinto both use the same filter. Ford always did keep things simpler than GM.

#22 ·
Well they pulled them here in Alabama too. The guys said that they dropped the line to add more Mobile-1 stuff and a new brand name that they couldn't remember. Jerry if you like them and your store has them, I'd grab them fast as they are being pulled by WallyWorld HQ's at all stores.

#23 ·
I guess their commitment to give us the "best price" has finally been trumped by their wish to have a better bottom line. How much money can you make selling filters for $2.68 ? Now on that $12 one, better mark up I bet. Same with the Optronics lights.

For those that didn't know, you can buy Optronic lights direct from the company. Buy more than 6 at a time and get a discount. I was paying about $10 a pair for them back in 2004.

Anyway, I have to go to Wal-mart today anyway so will look, but sounds bleak....... Guess I'll be getting the Emegos eventually.

#25 ·
Never seen ST sold any but Walmart either? Guess who ever made them for Wally World might have jacked the price up on a new contract so they got dropped. JMO....

#27 ·
A word of caution to those who use thicker oils like 20W-50 and high-efficiency filters (Purolator Pure One, Mobil-1, etc.) High-efficiency oil filters do limit oil flow somewhat, so the loss in cooling and potential pressure loss/low flow at startup may outweigh the benefit of better filtration.

I am not able to get oil pressure after an oil change using Rotella T6 5W-40 (synthetic) and a Pure One filter- I always have to burp the filter.

I would really like to use Rotella 15W-40 or Delvac because it is a lot cheaper, but I've tried both and would occasionally lose oil pressure when cold at around 4500rpm, and would have to pull over and burp the filter. This leads me to believe that even if I wasn't totally losing pressure, the flow was probably significantly reduced-- at least when cold.

Perhaps I have a weak pump or some other issue going on, and my case is an odd one, but this has happened since new.

Does anyone know of a cheap oil pressure gage I could temporarily screw into the oil pressure sending unit hole, or some other method to measure oil pressure?

#28 · (Edited)
Sounds to me you have some kind of problem going on with the bike.

Many fill the filter with oil and/or burp it after a change.... But never need to go back and burp it again.

So. 3 questions first.

What filter are you using? Are you filling the filter with some oil when you change it? And how much oil are you using?

High efficiantcy filters are not reccomended for this bike, and I know of no one having issues with the oil light coming on (after they get it to go out) after an oil change....regardless of the oil used.

Your bike should not be doing what you describe. Are you sure you are re-installing the screen properly? Have you found anything in it when you did the change?

#29 ·
The problem only happens when I've used 15W-40 oil and a Pure One filter. Haven't tried any combinations of this weight with other filters- I just use 5W-40 now.

I'm not pre-filling because the burp that comes out is rather dark and I like the idea of getting more of the old oil out.

I've never seen anything in the screen, except perhaps at the first oil change- don't remember. Can't imagine I'm putting the screen in wrong- it only goes in one way or it would collapse.

#31 ·
The problem only happens when I've used 15W-40 oil and a Pure One filter. Haven't tried any combinations of this weight with other filters- I just use 5W-40 now.

I'm not pre-filling because the burp that comes out is rather dark and I like the idea of getting more of the old oil out.

Not sure what you mean by that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.