Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

engine rattles

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  izzyrocks73 
#1 ·
Got a little problem with my 2005 Vulcan when I'm on the road everytime I stop I heard a rattle sound from the engine, it does it every once in a while I had my bike for 5 months now and the previous owner use to take care of it real good before takin it to the shop I will like to know if anybody had the same problem. Thank you any suggestions are helpful! Thanks again.

#2 ·
my first thought is one of the MCCT' s may not be functioning 100% of the time.
I expect one of the experts will offer thoughts shortly.

#4 ·
I meant ACCT's
sorry

#5 ·
Check the heat shields on the exhaust pipes. When the rivets loosen up you will start to hear a rattling sound.

#6 ·
Wires inside the headlight bucket can bang around at certain rpm's too.

Jon

#8 ·
look for this part on the front of the back cylinder.

hold a screwdriver tip to it and put your ear to the screwdriver handle and see if you hear it pretty well. if so its an easy and cheap fix!

#9 ·
yours might look a bit different as mine has been converted to a manual, you might not have the nuts on yours and just a cap screw.

#10 · (Edited)
If by chance the noise is coming from your ACCT you can remove the cap bolt, use a small flat blade screw driver and turn it to the left just about a half round and let it spin itself back (spring loaded) to loosen it up and turn it just a little to the right to cause tension on the timing chain. The spring will get weak over time not letting it add/adjust tension as needed. I took my ACCT off and stretched the spring and it quieten my engine rattle down.

Could be something else. But the ACCT is a common place for the rattle.

#12 ·
Good thread

Good thread !...was wondering what that thingie was, lol...

look for this part on the front of the back cylinder
I may need to do same, but mines intermittant, and usually when cold.

#13 · (Edited)
I would have to guess that this is the most asked question on this forum and usually the acct is the culprit!

take the capscrew off with the engine running and when you hear the ticking see if the flat slotted screw inside is jumping around, but remember to not overtight the capscrew when putting it back on, the housing is soft, just snug it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.