Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
GDI

'nother stator job

Yeah, looks like a Kawasaki bomb went off in my garage, LOL! Got parts everywhere. I pulled the engine to remove the cover. Mounted it up on the lathe with face-plate and machined it down. My strategy was a little different than I've seen, so will give my thoughts now that it's half done.

I had cover centered real well in the lathe--was maybe out 0.002" or so when I started machining. Lots of interrupted cutting, though, so could tell that the cover shifted a little bit. I had a machined boss mounted in the spindle hole taper to hold my position and make mounting somewhat accurate. That kept the cover from moving too far, thankfully. When I was finished I mounted some bolts in the threaded holes and snugged them up with locknuts. The reading I got then was out about 0.004", so figure "pretty good"--good enough for the girls we go out with!

As you can see from picture, I didn't stop when I had the hole to size. Next thing I did was shave off the boss around the threaded holes and the webbing, so that I had a nice flat surface (probably took it down 0.010" past the surface). Figured to use that space, so the cover would go on w/o interference. Next thing I did was mount the cover up on the mill w/ bolts in hole and snugged again w/ locknuts to center. Then bored them out for 3/8" - 24 TPI holes. Made up some custom bolts w/ M6 x 1mm pitch holes and dished heads. There's not much left there if you look at them. The bolt heads were 1/8" thick before I started dishing. I figure there's maybe 0.070" left in the center. Will probably hold fine because I do have a nice slip fit between cover and center piece. Center piece is 1/8" thick at the edge, so plenty of material there. Small cover does fit on case w/o any interference, so will have to see how she bolts up. I'm still waiting on parts. Ordered half of them, then decided to order shift-shaft seal as long as I'm in there.

I'll add some more pictures of my setup.

GDI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05-CenterPlate.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	42097   Click image for larger version

Name:	01-WithCoverOn.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	42105   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-ShavedBoss.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	42113   Click image for larger version

Name:	04-ShavedThreadedCover.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	42121   Click image for larger version

Name:	02-CoverOff.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	42129  

OleDirtyDoc and DenverDiesel like this.

Last edited by GDI; 02-03-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
GDI

So, that's what the machining was like. . . .

I guess if I had it to do over again, I might consider *not* boring out the holes and going w/ 3/8" - 24TPI custom bolts. That was a lot of extra work for not a lot of value. I might just try a few extra holes w/ small, flat-head fasteners to fasten center to inner cover--maybe m5 or so? That way I could have clearance holes for the outer cover fasteners in that center piece, and the outer cover itself wouldn't require any machining.

Everything is a trade-off though. There's not much metal left to put threaded holes in either. I guess another option would be to bore it out like I did and then use slotted, flat-head fasteners with the M6 - 1mm hole in the center. Kind of a best of both worlds, I suppose. . . .

GDI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08-WithHole.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	42137   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-BossShave.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	42145   Click image for larger version

Name:	07-LatheStart.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	42153   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-FaceplateWithBoss.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	42161   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-Shaved.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	42169  

Thorn likes this.

Last edited by GDI; 02-03-2018 at 09:01 AM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:55 AM

Definitely looks fine. Best way to do it, with real machine tools.

How long do you think it took to complete? Maybe you can cut covers for people wanting to do the mod?

Thanks for the pics.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
GDI

Yeah, I'd do one now and then if I had time. . . . I don't really want to start an internet business or anything, though. I be a lot happier doing it for a friend on my schedule instead of having to turn something around and think about making money at it. Machining is just a hobby for me, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I think I puttered away most of a Sunday, then 3-4 nights that week, another Saturday, and then at least one more night after work the next week. It's always going to take a lot longer on the first one of course, and part of that time was making a couple of jigs and fixtures. If I was to do it for other folks, the first thing I would do is buy a 4" hole saw to cut the center out.

I'm not set up for production at all. I concentrate on versatility rather than speed because a hobby is supposed to kill time. Machining is just something I do when its too cold to ride motorcycle. . . .

GDI
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 01:26 AM

Thumbs up

Nice work and pics.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
GDI

Finally, got most everything back together again. Still working on a set of forwards. Shifter side is ready for paint, but still need to finish up brake side.

Was pretty nice here this weekend, so couldn't resist firing it up to see if my fixes "took". . . . Good news and bad news. Runs fine, no leaks yet! Bad news--got a ticking or knocking sound coming from the bottom end by the stator. First thought was maybe clearances were off and flywheel was hitting stator? Then thought could be cam chain tensioner going bad. Really don't know which.

Was easy enough to pull the stator out now that I've got the tuxedo mod in place. There were a couple of scrapes on the flywheel/stator, but nothing serious. I think what I was seeing was already there when I buttoned it back up.

Pulled the front cam chain tensioner, but really didn't learn a whole lot. I don't know as you can tell a good one from a bad one by looking at it anyway? Put everything back together and ran it some more. Seems to not be quite as loud, but maybe I'm just getting used to it, LOL! Another wrinkle is that I put that 5W40 synthetic Rotella in the motor, so it's a lighter oil than OEM, so not sure if that could be an issue.

I'm thinking about doing a custom CCT of some kind. I'd really like to put a modern-style ratcheting CCT in there. I've got one here from another Kawasaki engine of some kind (Prairie 4x4, I think?), but the clearances are all wrong, so it won't work. Might try to build a new base for it or adapt it somehow--not sure yet.

Weather is still pretty crappy this week for any serious riding, so will probably just get the forwards finished up and painted before I turn my attention to this little distraction. . . .

You all have any advice on how to clear this up?

GDI
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:51 PM

Did you check the balancer bushings when you did the stator?

If the noise is excessive, you can usually feel the vibration by touching each CCT and also the front left of the case ahead of the outer stator cover where the balance gear is located. Depends how loud the noise is, they make a little noise anyway.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
GDI

I didn't check the bushings--didn't think I had to. It's an '03 w/ 16,500 miles, seems to have lead a pretty easy life from all indications. Maybe went down on the left side once, but would have been low-speed if it was moving at all.

When do the bushings become a problem? Is it wear or age or both?

GDI
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDI View Post
I didn't check the bushings--didn't think I had to. It's an '03 w/ 16,500 miles, seems to have lead a pretty easy life from all indications. Maybe went down on the left side once, but would have been low-speed if it was moving at all.

When do the bushings become a problem? Is it wear or age or both?

GDI
I think it can be either, some crumble and some just loosen up. Not sure of the mileage on bikes that have grenaded the side case, but there should be posts here.

If the balancer is loose enough to make noise, I'd think you would notice vibration to some degree.

2003-21k mi

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:56 PM

Garage
Mine went out at 11,000 miles....vibration was there....with my ignorance (unknowledgeable) my center (LH tread) bolt loosened....taking out my LH motor casing and a few other parts....
Bushing's(3+2 ?) about $50.00 or less.....
DO NOT IGNORE THEM !!!
...hope this helps
WilliamTec3

Originally WilliamTech
Since May 2011
86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock -Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
Jardine Fwd Controls, Custom Fenders w/Rails
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery, Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !

...have a Vulcan good day !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement