Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tuxedo Mod Questions

I'm kind of having a hard time with this mod as after I made all my cuts, 1 bolt that attaches to the cut out to the stator stripped and I had to get a used side cover and it seems like there are a few unanswered questions regarding this mod that I haven't seen asked. From picture #1 you can see that after I ground the ribs to make room for the spacers the plate sits like that on the cut out. It looks like if I had of ground down more of the rib the plate would sit even more flush. Prior to applying torque to the nuts the plate doesn't even sit on the spacers, there is a gap. Which begs the question, how far do you really need to grind the ribs? All the way off? Second, you can see in pic #2 that the outer holes on the plate are not aligned perfectly with the holes in the cover. The set screws do bolt in but the holes on the plate will have a bit of a gap on the outside at each hole, which worries me. 3rd, when I dry fit the plate to the stator to the cover, it looks like the stator may actually rub the rotor, could this be because of the first point I mentioned, the ground down ribs? I spoke with Glenn who fabs the plates and he told me that the 3 risers of the cover also need to be ground down to make up for the added thickness of the stator plate so the original gaskets can work. I will not be doing this as I do not have a CNC and I don't trust my dremel to make a level enough cut that the plate won't sit skewed in the rotor, I'll just use RTV red. So that also makes me wonder how far the stator needs to be sitting into the rotor, does it matter if it's 1/16" further out than factory? I want to do the mod since I've got the engine out but I also would hate for me to do this whole restore and crank the engine and the stator is rubbing the rotor and I have to go back to factory after a third try.

Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 12:51 PM

Haven't done this mod, so I can't offer much.

1/16" shouldn't matter. As long as the stator coils are in the magnetic field, it will work.

I would roll the crank by hand to check for rub before buttoning it all up, take a spark plug out of each cylinder.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Old 01-22-2018, 02:49 PM

Garage
I was sorely disappointed in the tolerances of his kit. If I had known beforehand I would have made my own plate. If you know someone with a machine shop they can mill the stator housing bosses down 0.046" (thickness I measured for the plate). They can also mill out the center with a rotary table if you like. After milling the bosses you could easily make your own stator plate.

Check out my other videos in addition to this one:

Engineer/Motorcycle Junkie

Junction Box Bypass:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...-problems.html

Old 08-20-2018, 09:15 AM

I am looking to undertake this mod myself and have a few questions before I begin. I am looking at gasket kits and wonder how thick it should be. I am thinking 1/16" should be adequate but 1/8" might be needed.

What is the best way to get the metal shavings out once cutting and grinding is completed? I saw kerosene but wanted to see if there are any other ideas out there.

Is running the new wires pretty straightforward? I would hate to be so close to the finish line and get hung up by something like that.

Also I would like to check to make sure I have all the necessary materials for this:
-Rotary cutter
-Stator and custom stator plate
-Loctite
-Some form of gasket or gasket gum
-Kerosene to clean shavings
-Drainpan and container for oil

Also approximately how long will this take?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Chris Allunario; 08-20-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allunario View Post
I am looking to undertake this mod myself and have a few questions before I begin. I am looking at gasket kits and wonder how thick it should be. I am thinking 1/16" should be adequate but 1/8" might be needed.

What is the best way to get the metal shavings out once cutting and grinding is completed? I saw kerosene but wanted to see if there are any other ideas out there.

Is running the new wires pretty straightforward? I would hate to be so close to the finish line and get hung up by something like that.

Also I would like to check to make sure I have all the necessary materials for this:
-Rotary cutter
-Stator and custom stator plate
-Loctite
-Some form of gasket or gasket gum
-Kerosene to clean shavings
-Drainpan and container for oil

Also approximately how long will this take?

Thanks for your help
Well, I highly recommend pulling the plate to do the cut. You can be as careful as possible and still, metal **** will end up in the engine if you cut it on the bike.

Depending on how fast and smooth your cut is, it'll probably take an hour+ to make the cuts needed. I just used gasket maker to seal everything up
Old 08-21-2018, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the tips! I am going to have to travel a tiny bit in order to access a garage for this and want to be sure I'll have all necessary tools with me so I don't have one of those oh crap moments. Here is my material list:

Custom plate
New stator
General tool kit (minus hex wrenches which I left at a friend's place)
Dremel kit
Loctite
Gasket maker
Kerosene
Oil change
Safety goggles and gloves

Am I missing anything here?
Old 08-21-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips! I am going to have to travel a tiny bit in order to access a garage for this and want to be sure I'll have all necessary tools with me so I don't have one of those oh crap moments. Here is my material list:

Custom plate
New stator
Dremel kit
Loctite
Gasket maker
Kerosene
Oil change

I would also want a shop vac handy if I was doing the mod on the bike. Reason being that I would want to suck as much of the metal particles/debris out as possible with the vac before I started flushing with the kerosene.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:47 AM

One of these computer vacuuming kits would go good with the shop vac. The adapter plugs into the vac hose and the smaller attachments fit in small places.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Old 08-21-2018, 02:46 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Best bet is to remove motor and take the whole side case off and do it OFF the motor

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
Old 08-21-2018, 02:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:

Custom plate
New stator
Dremel kit
Loctite
Gasket maker
Kerosene
Oil change

Beer?
TheModernLemonade likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links