Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
jump starter pack

Hi I have been searching ebay and have come across a re-chargeable jump starter pack ,Hand held smaller than a house brick which will fit nicely into front roll bag ,I have not seen one this small before and can be used as car emergency starter as well, not very expensive either so ones on the way.

Vn 750 A2 1986 rebuilt engine, crank shaft, half casing,shell bearings,con rods,rear cylinder head,oil pump,water pump ,(had ceased bearing rusted up),tie bar upgrade,clutch basket drilled,front cylinder cam chains,toc springs,stator,shaved, rectifier,agm battery,solenoid ,starter motor (used) re-spray ongoing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 04:14 AM

Garage
I got stranded a couple times when I first got my 750 (old, weak battery) and picked up one of these new small form-factor jump-packs. It has saved my butt a couple times, is strong enough to jump my truck, and I've surprised stranded motorists by rolling up on my vulcan and be able to help them with their dead battery.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 10:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETHRO View Post
Hi I have been searching ebay and have come across a re-chargeable jump starter pack ,Hand held smaller than a house brick which will fit nicely into front roll bag ,I have not seen one this small before and can be used as car emergency starter as well, not very expensive either so ones on the way.
I've got one, NOCO genius BOOST SPORT GB20. 400 amps, says it can jump engines up to 4.0L. I've only jumped the 750 with it so far but it handled that with ease. Also has built-in flashlight/emergency flasher and USB out for phone charging. Cool little unit...

1995 VN750 bought used @ 6K miles
2007 VN1600D bought used @ 40K miles

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Great, Glad to hear its worth buying from guys who have tried these out.

Vn 750 A2 1986 rebuilt engine, crank shaft, half casing,shell bearings,con rods,rear cylinder head,oil pump,water pump ,(had ceased bearing rusted up),tie bar upgrade,clutch basket drilled,front cylinder cam chains,toc springs,stator,shaved, rectifier,agm battery,solenoid ,starter motor (used) re-spray ongoing.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 02:47 PM

Thumbs up

Where can I get one,on line??Thanks.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 03:07 PM

NOCO GB20 Genius Boost Sport

I picked up the NOCO GB20 Genius Boost Sport at the local Canadian Tire store up here. This model has smaller battery clamps than I have seen on other NOCO models. It just perfect for the cramped battery area on my VN750. I have used it on all three of my bikes. Works like a charm.
If you are going to pick up a unit like this for bikes then go with this model.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
got mine on EBAY just type in ( portable jump starter ) and take your pick, various on sale.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 12:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggymon View Post
I picked up the NOCO GB20 Genius Boost Sport at the local Canadian Tire store up here. This model has smaller battery clamps than I have seen on other NOCO models. It just perfect for the cramped battery area on my VN750. I have used it on all three of my bikes. Works like a charm.
If you are going to pick up a unit like this for bikes then go with this model.
This is a good point. I got the GB40, because it seemed to be the best "bang for the buck" on Amazon, the shipping on it was faster, and I have cars that I have to jump start sometimes also. But after it was on its way, I noticed that the GB20 comes with the clamps that are more suited for powersports. I can get the GB40 clamps on my posts, but it's a tight fit.

If you really want the GB40, you can also buy the smaller clamps separately. I think they were like $48.95 when I checked. That doesn't sound like as good a deal as just buying the GB20, if it otherwise meets your needs.

1986 Vulcan 750
Purchased June 2018, as a first bike.
Put 1,300 miles on it so far.

AGM Battery, Iridium Plugs
SeaFoam does wonders, and I'm protected by Ride-On
Back tire: Dunlop Challenger.
Front tire: Dunlop Challenger, but about to replace it with a Kenda Cruiser.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Diesel Tech

Charging system is permanent magnet. Push start. Doesn't need to go fast.

1989 VN750
Highway blaster

2006 Honda Rebel Diesel
100mpg, low and slow

1982 Mercedes 300D
Modified engine, 4-speed manual
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 04:31 PM

push start works in a pinch if the battery is a little low, but the CDI and coils need good voltage to get started, and putting the bike in a higher gear is impossible when the bike is below a certain speed. I've done it but it was definitely not easy, and I'm a big relatively strong guy. that stator and rr just can't act quickly enough in those short moments to get the voltage up as quickly as you'd need if it were a totally dead battery

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement