Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

2Likes
  • 1 Post By OleDirtyDoc
  • 1 Post By Thorn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Junction box weirdness?

Hey all! I picked up a ninja fuse box recently knowing they fit vulcans (which they do, but regret getting it due to how weird it is). However the lay out of fuses don't really line up and im not sure which is the 30 amp fuse and what is the normal 10 amp fuses.

I also have a really weird issue. When the kickstand goes up, the dash lights get dimmer and the top left fuse either burns out if its a 10amp (but takes a second to burn out), or if its a 30amp gets the wires really hot (I dont leave it like this after I noticed due to worry about electrical fire or burning something out). Is the hot wires normal, or do I have a short somewhere? Also the other 30amps in there all burn out with lesser fuses, but cant figure out what is causing it. I know in the vulcan fuse box one of the fuses is a 30amp but I dont know how it routes to this fuse box, as none of these are labeled "main".

The current setup as shown in the picture nothing burns out, but I dont know how safe it is to the electronics on the bike as the wires and fuse box get really hot.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	41482   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	41490  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

thats news to me (about ninja JB's fitting vn's, other than shape)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 07:19 PM

Garage
That is NOT the same fuse box....get it out before you do some real damage.

What happened to your original fuse box?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 07:43 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
this has been discussed here before. the plug is the same and it looks the same, but it's a different part number. if it was compatible they'd use the same part number

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk
Spockster likes this.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 08:45 AM

Garage
Do not put higher amp fuses in where lower amp fuses should be. Ever. The fuses are there to prevent too much current from flowing through various circuits. Putting a larger fuse in where a smaller amp fuse blew out is intentionally bypassing the point of having a fuse at all. Hot wires = fire & destruction.

I'm trying to dig up a schematic of the Ninja fusebox to see just what the differences are. Without knowing what the circuitry is, the kickstand switch might just connect the positive and negative battery terminals! I'd be surprised if it's a swappable piece, but don't know the details. Will post back when I know something.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:49 AM

Garage
OK, looks like that fuse box is a part used in the 98/99 ZX600, and the circuit schematics for that bike http://support.bazzaz.net/service_manuals/ZX600G2.pdf show that it is completely incompatible with the vn750. The plugs fit, but the wires go do different things. You got "lucky" in that the ignition works, but it works in such a way that the main fuse isn't protecting the things it should protect. Additionally, you'll be blowing the headlight fuse for sure when the bike is running. The kickstand will blow the horn fuse, etc. (I notice those two slot have 30 amp fuses in them already in your photo). Basically, all the wires are scrambled. Yank that box out of there, get the proper part, and hope you didn't fry anything else on the bike!
Spockster likes this.

Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:51 AM

Garage
Out of curiosity, where did you hear that the junction boxes were swappable between the two bikes?

Service Manual Download
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 11:13 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
the r&r is swappable from the 600c ninja,as I have done that

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Garage
I'm gonna suggest that you check out this thread on eliminating the junction box:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...-problems.html

If you can't follow that then I have a OEM junction box that you can have if you cover shipping to you. It'll need to be resealed but was working perfectly fine when I eliminated it from my bike. I just wanted to go full bore and upgrade my electrical system.

Take it slow and easy, don't bite off more than you can chew, and read the Verses and as many stickies as you can that even MIGHT apply. Whatever issue you run into it is likely someone here has dealt with it before.

- "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

'92 VN750
AGM battery, Iridium Spark plugs, Repaired/upgraded wiring per Mcinturff method, RLU removed, Repaired shift linkage, Exhaust baffles removed, Black ISO grips installed, installed SH775 R/R, Ignition coil relay mod, replaced stator housing.

Future projects: whatever it takes to keep riding

Currently working on: Light bar, LED upgrades, Dash cleanup/paint
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the concern to cause everyone! This is a used bike I got for $350 to try and learn how to fix (which is why I didn't have the original junction box among gas tank, R/R, battery, spark plugs, and other things) and my first bike in general. I could have sworn I saw a post saying the ninja 600r junction box worked from a Vulcan 750 but after looking for that post I must have been hitting the bottle too hard as I can't find it!

Thank you for your generosity on offering a junction box for me! However after I saw the first batch of posts I immediately bought a Vulcan junction box off of eBay which got in Friday! I put it together, cleaned up some ground connections as I was still getting some weird issues but was able to fix and troubleshoot through other posts. I got the bike running after all that and some fuel line work (still needs quite a bit TLC but at least I know it runs).

Waiting on a regulator and rectifier (which I see a lot of people are using the mosfet mod instead but wanted to get this working as close to stock as possible before I go crazy with the mods) to see if I'm going to have a weak strator like a lot of people describe here (bought a AGM MF battery that everyone here seems to recommend to try and cut down on issues). Thank you all for the help and quick response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement