1995 vn750 difficulty turning over with electric start button - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Skel3tor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 26
iTrader: (2)
 
Send a message via AIM to Skel3tor1 Send a message via MSN to Skel3tor1 Send a message via Yahoo to Skel3tor1
1995 vn750 difficulty turning over with electric start button

Hello everyone in the vn750 community here. I find myself in a bit of a pickle with my '95 Vulcan 750. It's almost up to the 30,000 mark for mileage and I'm the third or fourth owner.

I don't know if this is because of the cold weather (I'm in Georgia) or if it'll happen when it warms up, but I'm having trouble getting the bike to actually turn over and fire up when using the electric start button. Choke is full on and battery life is good because I can sit there and dink with this for a while before I run the battery out. It took me a few tries last time in mildly warm weather, I believe it was 60s out. I pretty much stopped riding it until I can figure this out because I almost stranded myself at work (30 degree weather when I get off at midnight). I ran the battery pretty low and ended up pushing the bike up an incline and then having a buddy of mine push me and it starts up fine when push started and me throwing the clutch out in 2nd gear. Fired right on up. I always get lights on with the key in the on position so I don't think it's the battery.

Why am I having such difficulty getting it to turn over?

Mikey aka Skel3tor1
Skel3tor1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:08 PM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skel3tor1 View Post
Hello everyone in the vn750 community here. I find myself in a bit of a pickle with my '95 Vulcan 750. It's almost up to the 30,000 mark for mileage and I'm the third or fourth owner.

I don't know if this is because of the cold weather (I'm in Georgia) or if it'll happen when it warms up, but I'm having trouble getting the bike to actually turn over and fire up when using the electric start button. Choke is full on and battery life is good because I can sit there and dink with this for a while before I run the battery out. It took me a few tries last time in mildly warm weather, I believe it was 60s out. I pretty much stopped riding it until I can figure this out because I almost stranded myself at work (30 degree weather when I get off at midnight). I ran the battery pretty low and ended up pushing the bike up an incline and then having a buddy of mine push me and it starts up fine when push started and me throwing the clutch out in 2nd gear. Fired right on up. I always get lights on with the key in the on position so I don't think it's the battery.

Why am I having such difficulty getting it to turn over?
Do you have a wet cell or an MF AGM battery, What weight oil? Sounds like you have a crappy wet cell or a failing MF battery. Do you have Iridium Plugs. Check and clean all your battery and ground connections (frame, battery, starter, engine , solenoid)


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 02-17-2009 at 10:11 PM.
lance328 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Senior Member
 
cglennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 736
iTrader: (0)
 
Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
Do you have a wet cell or an MF AGM battery, What weight oil? Sounds like you have a crappy wet cell or a failing MF battery. Do you have Iridium Plugs. Check and clean all your battery and ground connections (frame, battery, starter, engine , solenoid)
Lance328 is right. Start with the battery and connectors. However, I might add to check that the carbs are getting fuel to the engine as well (carborator cleaner won't hurt). I had the reverse situation last year after buying a used 2006, with original wet battery. It was hard to start when warm, just grinding and grinding. A new MF battery help a lot, but it still took a trip to the deal to fix it completely (not sure what they did though). Now it starts right up, cold or warm. Sounds like you might be due for service, even if it is the battery.


Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
cglennon is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:45 AM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
As cglennon mentioned carb cleaner won't hurt. Pick up some Seafoam at your local parts store, 2-3 oz per tank full. It is Jesus in a can, it really works miracles. Two things that will help you scoot fire right up: 1) An MF AGM battery 2) NGK DPR7EIX-9 spark plugs. A link below for a great battery. You can get plugs at Advance Auto Parts ask for NGK 7803 if you ask for NGK DPR7EIX-9 it will cost you double


BATTERY

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra...L-Battery.html

SPARK PLUGS

http://www.sparkplugssource.com/shop...spx?itemid=223


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
lance328 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:47 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 112
iTrader: (1)
 
Hi Skel3tor1

One other thing to have a look at is the ignition leads and plug caps, with the VN every little bit helps to get these things started. I had some interesting finding on my Voyager when I nreplaced the plugs and caps, have a look here :-

Spark Plugs and Caps

I think the main problem is the battery but the oil weight could be a factor (especially in the cold weather), but a check of all the electrical connections from the battery to the starter relay to the starter motor, and especially the negative leads from the battery and starter motor, they always get forgotten about.

Hope you get it starting ok.
davet is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)
 
I used to have the same problem but exaggerated on colder days. I replaced the battery with a MF gel battery and have not had a problem since regardless of temperature. I even went on a ride in Oct (mountain trip) where the morning temperature was 32 degrees. Bike started on the first press of the button.

I would strongly encourage you give a hard look at the battery and cables. (But then again, I am no mechanic, so take my advise with a grain of salt.)

Jeff

2005 VN750 Silver/Black
Kurykyn ISO grips
Mutazu LN Hard bags with wired LED Brake Lights
Kawasaki Rear Luggage Rack
Memphis Shades 21' Gradient Black Windshield



JWenhart is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Skel3tor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 26
iTrader: (2)
 
Send a message via AIM to Skel3tor1 Send a message via MSN to Skel3tor1 Send a message via Yahoo to Skel3tor1
Alright, awaiting shipping of a Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS maintenance free battery. I've had but haven't installed the NGK DPR7EIX-9 spark plugs yet, because I don't have a socket for the sunken in ones. I'll stop by Sears in the local mall here and grab a 18mm thin wall deep socket to get at those. I'll take a look at the wiring and connectors and clean up what I can.

I figure this upcoming weekend I'll give this a go. I also need to replace my exhaust as the previous owner thought loud as crap pipes were all the rage and when I'm riding around after midnight the last thing I need to do is piss everyone off in my neighborhood and the hotel residence next door to my employer. The front desk manager already spoke to the security guard at my employer about my loud pipes and requested that I not park on their premises. Usually they permit us to overflow into their parking spot but when I leave at night, I tend to wake up some of their guests.

Question. When switching exhaust, does the vn750 have the crush gasket to make sure it gets an airtight fit? And if so, is it 11060 on this schematic from bikebandit? 11060: GASKET,EXHAUST PIPE 11028-1097 539325-001 $6.18

Mikey aka Skel3tor1
Skel3tor1 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:50 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 112
iTrader: (1)
 
Hi Skel3tor1

When you are the Sears store have a look for this spark plug socket, others on the forum have bought this one as it fits the deep recess of the VN and has a rubber insert to hold the spark plug, especially useful when trying to reinstall them.

Craftsman 18mm Easy-To-Read Spark Plug Socket, 3/8 in.
Sears item #00950728000, SKU number 714994507284.

Last edited by davet; 02-18-2009 at 06:16 PM.
davet is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:26 PM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skel3tor1 View Post
Alright, awaiting shipping of a Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS maintenance free battery. I've had but haven't installed the NGK DPR7EIX-9 spark plugs yet, because I don't have a socket for the sunken in ones. I'll stop by Sears in the local mall here and grab a 18mm thin wall deep socket to get at those. I'll take a look at the wiring and connectors and clean up what I can.

I figure this upcoming weekend I'll give this a go. I also need to replace my exhaust as the previous owner thought loud as crap pipes were all the rage and when I'm riding around after midnight the last thing I need to do is piss everyone off in my neighborhood and the hotel residence next door to my employer. The front desk manager already spoke to the security guard at my employer about my loud pipes and requested that I not park on their premises. Usually they permit us to overflow into their parking spot but when I leave at night, I tend to wake up some of their guests.

Question. When switching exhaust, does the vn750 have the crush gasket to make sure it gets an airtight fit? And if so, is it 11060 on this schematic from bikebandit? 11060: GASKET,EXHAUST PIPE 11028-1097 539325-001 $6.18
The gasket you need is P/N 11060-1119 $3.71 at Cheap Cycle Parts.

https://www.onlinemicrofiche.com/che...t/Viewcart.asp


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
lance328 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Skel3tor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 26
iTrader: (2)
 
Send a message via AIM to Skel3tor1 Send a message via MSN to Skel3tor1 Send a message via Yahoo to Skel3tor1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post
Hi Skel3tor1

When you are the Sears store have a look for this spark plug socket, others on the forum have bought this one as it fits the deep recess of the VN and has a rubber insert to hold the spark plug, especially useful when trying to reinstall them.

Craftsman 18mm Easy-To-Read Spark Plug Socket, 3/8 in.
Sears item #00950728000, SKU number 714994507284.
Thanks for posting that. It was the last one out on display when I went. I tested all my spark plugs and they were easy to move. Granted, I had been spraying PB Blaster on them for about 2 days just in case.

Can you use a can of compressed air in the spark plug enclosures to clear out the debris? I don't have an air compressor and when I do remove the spark plugs I don't want anything to just drop on in there.

Mikey aka Skel3tor1
Skel3tor1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome