Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
just crushing along

Garage
Turn signal Help please

I have a 1985 vn700 and the turn signal quit flashing and i know the old relay had a small melted/burnt spot on it so i headed the the part store and bought the EP34 relay that i thought was a replacement for our bikes and still no flashing. I clean the switch at the handlebar and checked the voltage at the relay plug. and that appears to be switching from one pole to the other when the turn signal switch is turn one way or the other. I have checked bulbs and wiring and cant get these to work anymore. Does anyone know if the canceling device will cause them not to blink?
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone know how to test the canceling box??
again thanks for any help.
Meathead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 05:33 PM

Garage
The hazards should bypass the "turn signal control unit" completely. Does turning them on energize the lights?

Does honking the horn energize the lights? (noisy check, but useful info)

It also looks like there's a fuse in-line with the primary coil of the signal-cancelling relay in the switch assembly housing which might be blown, but it seems like that is probably in-tact if you're getting voltage changes on your new relay when switching to left/right on the signal switch. Something to check, anyway.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
just crushing along

Garage
no the Hazzards do not work either. this is why I am stumped.... do you have any more info on the fuse in line location? '
thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
just crushing along

Garage
Oh forgot to ad the horn works and no does not cause the lights to blink
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:59 PM

Garage
The fuse is connected to the white/orange wire in the handlebar assembly. Without a disassembled piece in front of me, that's the closest I can get you. There should be continuity through the signal switch assembly from where the white/red wire connects to where the white/orange wire connects. That continuity would verify that the solenoid primary coil, fuse, and the signal switch in 'off' positon are all good. There should not be continuity between those connection points if the switch is set to left or right.

If your hazards aren't working, the fuse is a moot point. That button should directly connect the orange wire to both the solid grey and solid green wires leading to the left and right signals respectively. It also ignores the signal control unit.

Can you short Orange to either Solid Grey or Solid Green and see what happens? You should have solid voltage on Orange until it is hooked up to a ground via a load (lights), at which point the voltage should pulse on and off. If you can observe that pulse when shorting Orange to either of the solid Green or Grey wires but the lights don't come on, you're probably looking at a short to ground in the lighting wiring. Check the ohms between the solid Green/Grey wires and ground.

Also, if you just don't have ENOUGH voltage (weak battery), your lights might not come on even though everything is "working"? Don't think that's what's happening here, but just throwing it out there.

Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
just crushing along

Garage
thanks for teh help gives me some more to go by again i appreciate it you can always count on people here
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
just crushing along

Garage
hello got the wiring issue turn signal fixed turned out ima a big ole dummy i thought i had bought a ep34 relay and turned outta be the tp35 which by the way doesn't work bough the tp 34 plugged in and wow it works thanks for the people that chimed in again thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 PM

Garage
Glad you got it sorted out.

Service Manual Download
Sponsored Links
Advertisement