Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Stator problems

Some of you guys have greatly helped me in the past and I couldn't be happier, ran into a new issue. I have gone through 3 stators in a week. No idea why. Every time they last about 3 days then short to ground on all coils. Pulled the stator and it's just black as night. I have a new battery and new R/R. And everything tests good but the stator. Is there something I am doing wrong? Please help me out.

Don't worry!!, It's just a bump in the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 04:23 PM

How did you resolve the rotor rub issue?

Are these stators coming from Willie's/Cycletronics and are they replacing them under warranty?

What type of r/r are you using? OEM, MOSFET, other?

I don't have a lot to offer for solutions other than maybe look into eliminating all three relays in the junction box. Check all the wiring to make sure there's no overheating going on.

Could be a bad run of stators, but that's some horrible luck.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rotor rub was resolved, I have OEM R/R and electro sport stators. Just been a hell of a run. Ran perfect for 3 days then dead. And again 3 days then dead. I just put a new one in hoping that I could go in s family trip and 2-3 days into the trip it grounded again.. there has to be something wrong. I'll look into eliminating the relays.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 08:47 PM

Location: Southern Maryland, Waldorf/LaPlata/Indian Head area

Spockster X2, I'd do a mosfet R/R too when your moneys right.The coil relay mod made "Blanche" come alive too.I did a mosfet R/R when I changed my stator and haven't had any trouble, about 3,000 miles ago.I have a Regulator Rectifier.com stator,don't know how good ,time will tell. So far she's charging fine. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

1985 700 Vulcan / Purchased 13,636 miles currently 19,126/Fork Seals & Dust Covers/Ignition Switch/AGM Battery/Hell Fire Windshield/River Roads Saddle Bags/Coil Relay Mod/2Wire Mod/RLU Bypass/Head Light Switch/Voltage monitor Green light/Mosfit R&R/Tuxedo Mod/Stator/Point Gap .020/ Dampers/Rear Signal & Brake Light LED'S/Rebuilt Shutoff Valve/Final Drive Gear Oil/Brake Shoes/Spline & Hub Lube/11 inch Progressive Shocks/De Goated/Engine Guard/Rejetted For K/N Pods/TOC mcct's
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:15 AM

That brand of stator has a pretty poor track record.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 12:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
That brand of stator has a pretty poor track record.
Yes I second electrosport being a crappy stator.Mine lasted about 2 hours of ride time and nuked.Bought and used own about 8 months ago and no problems.Still have electrosport stator not even going to warentee it out.I don't want crappy products in my engine.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 01:12 PM

Location: Southern Maryland, Waldorf/LaPlata/Indian Head area

Thanks for the input Spockster, couldn't get a TPE so I took a chance on this one . I'm not confident with only 3,000 miles on it to recommend it to everyone. They say," regulator rectifier.com, that it puts out about 240W @ 3,000 RPMS". Willie's has had good reports as you know.Seems like its the best out there now. The one I got was $119.99 I took a chance.

1985 700 Vulcan / Purchased 13,636 miles currently 19,126/Fork Seals & Dust Covers/Ignition Switch/AGM Battery/Hell Fire Windshield/River Roads Saddle Bags/Coil Relay Mod/2Wire Mod/RLU Bypass/Head Light Switch/Voltage monitor Green light/Mosfit R&R/Tuxedo Mod/Stator/Point Gap .020/ Dampers/Rear Signal & Brake Light LED'S/Rebuilt Shutoff Valve/Final Drive Gear Oil/Brake Shoes/Spline & Hub Lube/11 inch Progressive Shocks/De Goated/Engine Guard/Rejetted For K/N Pods/TOC mcct's
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So what stator would you recommend? Been reading and might have missed it. I didn't know that electrasport had such a bad record, thought they were a leading company.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wellington View Post
So what stator would you recommend? Been reading and might have missed it. I didn't know that electrasport had such a bad record, thought they were a leading company.
That's a problem at the moment. TPE went out of business.

Willie's Cycle / Cycletronics was recommended to me as a quality rewound stator supplier. We have two members right now giving them a try. I think maybe one is still being worked on and the other may be on the road. There's some threads here somewhere. One good thing, they don't require you to send your old core to be rewound and I believe they keep them in stock.

When I first got here, the stator was my main concern. I thought, can it really be that bad? Some quick web searches turned up all I needed to know about Rick's and Electrosport. There are just too many reports about the short, short life of those stators. Talking to Tim at TPE, he was able to give a bit more insight about his experience being in business with one of those, and the reasons that relationship ended.

That said, we do have one person here that picked one of those other stators and then did all the mods possible to get power away from the junction box. So far, he's doing ok, but I think it's only been this season.

2003-21k mi

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Is there anything in particular that would cause them to burn out so fast? For what I understand is the stator just provides voltage to the R/R and that goes to my main fuse. I'm just trying to get my head around how the junction box is such an issue or if the problem is being caused somewhere else

Sponsored Links
Advertisement